200 Photos of 2012 FOHBC National Show, Reno NV

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

epackage

Reaction score
Carlton this was a very common form for bottles during that time period, that being said Charlie's thoughts about the label being put on at the TOC make the most sense to me, unless someone can provide us with details on Charles Heinle being in the business of bottling before then...

CarltonHendricks

Reaction score
Jim, What about the 1890 ad AntiqueMeds posted...that would be before TOC. But if it is from the TOC...are you saying the label was used on an earlier 1870 bottle to sell root beer or are you saying someone applied the label after it was sold?
ORIGINAL: AntiqueMeds

Heinle's Jockey Club Root Beer

I found a lot of Heinle records but nothing earlier than the early 1890s.
That bottle looks a good bit earlier than that.

1890 ad

42E9D862CB1347978F0D91E444A64D63.jpg

epackage

Reaction score
I think the label was put on at a later date than the bottle was made, possibly 1900-1920... I would need to try and find out if and when the company was actually making carbonated beverages or if it's like Charlie thinks. Where you could order labels when you ordered flavoring extracts from them, as it stands I don't see a label for any of their other flavors and that seems odd for a company that was in business for at least 30 years that we know. If we could find someone in the Philly area that could go to the main library it might help in finding out the companies timeline...

baltbottles

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: Penn Digger

Who wants to buy some cool bottles that had labels added many years later? Please advise? Might add some "serious" value to slick OPs and IPs? Please advise! LOL. Integrity?

PD

I have known Steve for quite a few years he has dug with our group on many occasions and he is one of the nicest people I have ever met. I don't think he has a bad bone in his body. If he sold the bottle as old with a slightly newer label I'm sure that's what he thought the bottle was. he has offered an unconditional return policy for the bottle I don't know how anyone could question his integrity.

And if anyone doubts an 1870s bottle could have had an 1890s label applied to it you don't have much experience with attic found bottles..... I have seen pontiled bottles with 1870s labels that were fresh from a local attic.

Chris

cyberdigger

Reaction score
Just to clarify a couple points.. to me at least, "TOC" refers generally to the 1890-1910 time period.
This type of bottle was a deposit bottle, meaning the bottling company owned it and only sold the contents to the customer, who was supposed to return it, so that it could be cleaned, refilled, re-labeled and put back out again.

It would make sense to me that a West coast bottling co got their hands on some used or obsolete East coast bottles and put them to use out there, since relatively few glasshouses were situated in that area.

The fact that the label has no proprietor or town or store, or even the amount of fl. oz's makes me think it came directly from the supplier of the extract, so the retailer could prepare the mixture and bottle it and slap the labels on whatever bottles they used, wherever they were.

I think it's a perfectly authentic bit of history and offers some interesting perspective on how the bottling industry worked back then. [:)] Very different from how it is these days..

CarltonHendricks

Reaction score
Tuesday 7/31/12, 1:24AM PST - My initial post at the top of page one of this thread is now missing a bunch of photos. I made the mistake of moving them to different file on PhotoBucket. As there is no option to edit the post and re-add the photos...Re-Adding them here in this quote feature seems to be the only alternative. My apologies for the mistake and confusion. -Carlton
ORIGINAL: CarltonHendricks

http://sportsantiques.com/fohbc_reno_show_7_27_12.htm
I attended the FOHBC National Bottle Show in Reno Friday 7/27 and Saturday 7/28. IT was $70.00 for early entry on Friday. But then when I went to pay it was like $50 if you were a member of FOHBC and $30.00 to joiin = total $80.00 so I joined for the exra $10.00. Above is a link to about 100 photos I posted on my site SportsAntiques.com. I'll be posting another 100 or so of Saturday shots pretty soon.

b8216af5.jpg

4ecadc74.jpg

5daeb379.jpg

caa797a4.jpg

ceee606a.jpg

44726221.jpg

The show was pretty darn good....Naturally I as a collector of sports display antiques was looking for overflow items beyond just bottles....tins, signs, etc....and it was there. I didn't find too much for sports but I did get the 1963 Dodgers vs Yankees World Series banner and the 7 1/4" tall c1870 Jockey Club Root Beer bottle above

8be47969.jpg

7f15e623.jpg

ef34d021.jpg

I himm hawed over the two items above....a c1880 pocker themed whiskey bottle I think was marketed to the military as there was a large U.S. embossed on the back priced $225.00....but money was tight and I left without it...it would have just been an eBay spec piece. the boxing glove was cool for $40.00..about 4" tall bisq cast whiskey bottle...but just didn't have the eye appeal and I left it...would have been nice but just another knick knack really...

Below are a few shots I took but as mentioned you can see tons more on my site link below...and like I say I'll get 100 more of Saturday up soon

cca54f65.jpg

d4a71c24.jpg

cc1771af.jpg

211e928e.jpg

CarltonHendricks

Reaction score

I have now added about another 100 photos of what I saw Saturday at the FOHBC National Convention show on my site, see link above. The first batch was of Friday. I've also added my commentary plus featured the roped off displays the FOBHC members put together.
-Carlton

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bricri2