200 Photos of 2012 FOHBC National Show, Reno NV

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

epackage

Reaction score
I only see records of Charles Heinle from the early 1900's thru the teens and no mention whatsoever of him before 1900, they were an extract making & selling company during that time. Is there any record of Heinle before that time that someone can show me....The label looks out of place due to the multiple colors and print style from what I've seen on early labels...

cyberdigger

Reaction score
" Also from Philadelphia, is HEINLE'S ROOT BEER / ONE BOTTLE MAKES 5 GALLONS / CHAS. L. HEINLE & Co 2731 KENSINGTON AVE / PHILA, PA"

FROM HERE

cyberdigger

Reaction score
I'm gonna go ahead and speculate a bit, based on the notion that East coast bottles were sent out west for bottling companies to use, legally or not, and combine that with the possibility that these labels were made available by the extract company upon purchase of a certain quantity of their extract.. the bottle is 1870's for sure, the label seems more TOC era, but out in the Seattle area, around 1900, I can definitely imagine this bottle being used in a small time bottling operation, therefore rendering this labeled bottle 100% genuine, if my postulations are correct.
The only thing I wish the bottle had was an original Putnam cork retainer or the like, but that could have been removed at any time for any reason..

AntiqueMeds

Reaction score
Heinle's Jockey Club Root Beer

I found a lot of Heinle records but nothing earlier than the early 1890s.
That bottle looks a good bit earlier than that.

1890 ad

42E9D862CB1347978F0D91E444A64D63.jpg

Attachments

• 42E9D862CB1347978F0D91E444A64D63.jpg
    42E9D862CB1347978F0D91E444A64D63.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 77

cyberdigger

Reaction score
That's what I'm suggesting.. that the bottle was already 20 - 30 years old when it was filled with this delicious fizzy drink..

cacarpetbagger

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: CarltonHendricks

LOL...you guys are killing me....so you think the label has been added...but the bottle is good?...I think when I bought it in the back of my mind I anticipated this conjecture on this site....

If someone can persuade me with rational to support that the label has been added I'm all for it...In fact I welcome it...I'd actually prefer something be torn to shreds here than think it's right if it isn't....That is...like I say, if that position is supported by viable research.
Hi Carlton, I am the one who sold you the bottle. I thought I was clear that even though I thought the bottle was 1870's, I thought the label was added later probably around the turn of the century. I got the bottle from a collector digger in Scott Bar. He bought it at an estate sale in the Seattle Washington area. I do not think the label was added recently. However if you think I misrepresented anything to you no problem, just send me a PM and I will arrange to return your money, no harm no foul.

CarltonHendricks

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: cyberdigger

Here's a tidbit of history about this specimen: CLICK ME

Very helpful link...they don't call you cyberdigger for nothing!

From Cyberdigs link it appears to me my Heinle's is a root beer extract bottle...which is a surprise to me....I thought 4 1/5" tall size was interesting for a retail bottle...the extract makes sense....and is confirmed by Glen Poch in the link:

http://www.antiquebottles.com/poch/18.html
Many of the root beer extract bottles are embossed with the brand, manufacture, city, state, etc, while others may just have the brand name. Other extract bottles were more generic, with paper labels applied to them. We are only going to address embossed bottles in this article, and only bottles that have a city or state included as part of the embossing. Most of the embossed bottles described date from the 1880 to 1920 time frame. We will not include specific measurements after this point, unless the bottle is not a "typical" extract bottle. Most of the "typical" extract bottles are roughly 4 1/4" to 4 3/4" tall, with 4 sides that are each approximately 1 1/2" wide. Most of the bottles described are pale aqua, pale green, or clear, though some of them are of a darker aqua, and amber. The / between lines indicates a different side of the bottle.

Also from Philadelphia, is HEINLE'S ROOT BEER / ONE BOTTLE MAKES 5 GALLONS / CHAS. L. HEINLE & Co 2731 KENSINGTON AVE / PHILA, PA.

cyberdigger

Reaction score
Not to destroy a happy ending, but the label doesn't indicate an extract, but rather a carbonated beverage.. and the bottle looks about 7" tall .. sorry to be a pain.. [;)]

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jimk26