2day's Findz

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

TheDiggerBoy91

Reaction score
Went to the dump today for the first time in a few months. This one opened in the 1880's and closed around 1940, although people were still throwing stuff into it well into the 1950's. Unfortunately, it's been pretty much stripped of any BIM's (even the unembossed ones) and there are screw tops EVERYWHERE (Not a problem for me, since I collect them too) Got a minor cut on my leg and got attacked by mosquitoes as usual, but it was well worth it!![:D]

Guys and girls, I have a confession to make. I havent been telling the full truth. Ready??.ok. Despite my name, I've...never...dug...before. Yes, it's true. I, Diggerboy, have never dug for bottles. I've always just........took what other diggers threw out of their holes[:(].

BUT NOT ANYMORE!!! Diggerboy now....DIGS!!! Got my first ever actually DUG bottle..a beautiful 1930 emerald green perfume.Just rolled right out of the side of the hole. It may not seem like much, but for me it's a very important bottle. I've never seen another one like it. Found a few more in the hole, but all were melted.

So, as the story goes-

I had to beg my dad to dake my to the dump (as usual). He dropped me off at about 6:30 at the 'side enterance" to the dump. Luckilly, the dump is public property (it's located in a park) so you don't need permission to dig in it. Right when i got in I'm like "No!! I am DIGGING this time!! no more surface stuff!!" So I go in and find a place to dig. I dug about 6 inches before getting nothing but roots and a few shards. It was crap, so I moved to another place in between 2 holes, one about a foot deep and the other about 4 feet deep. So I brush away the junk and start. Staer getting many shards, which is good. About 1 1/2 to 2 feet down I scrape up the side of the hole and BAM- out rolls a 1930 emerald green perfume. This determined me to keep going. But all I got were a few melted bottles from a fire and more shards. Blah. By this time, my hole was about 3 1/2 ft deep and I had sweat dripping down my face, and I was starting to weaken (hey, Im only 14). I figured it would be a better idea to surface-pick than collapse.

Hope to work on the hole some more soon in the future

Here are the finds:

1910's Lang's Beer

1910's-20's Unembossed Whiskey

1880's-90's Whitehall & Tatnum 3-piece whiskey

1951 Karo Syurup

c. 1935 brown med

early screw top (behind the green perfume), very crude

1920's-30's unembossed pickle/relish

1920's-30's A&P vinegar

1932 unembossed Ketchup

pharmacy perscription

1930 emerald green perfume (My first ever dug bottle!!)

Qn38565.jpg

Attachments

• Qn38565.jpg
    Qn38565.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 65

jme_jett

Reaction score
congratulations! the perfume ought to clean up real nice. now your living up to your name! keep digging it never stops getting better!

swizzle

Reaction score
I for one am glad to see that there are people out there who collect what others toss. I can honestly say that there were times that I've dug bottles and tossed them to the side but I was fighting with a decision. Pack out a lot of extra weight or grab what I feel or know is the best and go. I've layed a lot of nice bottles next to the holes I was digging. Its either not "special enough", in my opinion, or I've seen 30 other bottles like it at the same dump and figured that it must be a common, worthless bottle. But what's not "special enough" to me might be very special to someone else. Its all your frame of mind I suppose. What I use to see as an endless supply of worthless, rawleighs's bottles I'm now seeing as potential building blocks. I'm thinking that once I dig enough of these then I'll put in some type of liquid that won't freeze and add some food coloring to it. Then cork the top and I could half bury the bottles around a flower bed or small garden. I've seen people half bury bricks at a 45 degree angle to create borders. Why not colorful bottles? There are quite a few out there who even collect the shards for art projects. No shame should be felt at how you came across the bottles you have. You were out and about and enjoying yourself with a good hobby. A lot of those bottles were protected in the ground and pulling them out and laying them on top leaves them prey to mother nature and sling shots. Just because they aren't worth much now doesn't mean that these aren't the collectables of the future. Whether you rescue a bottle from a ditch, your backyard, a privy or deep in the forest, or a local garage sale doesn't matter as long as your enjoying yourself. Sorry if I rambled on to much. Swiz

TheDiggerBoy91

Reaction score
My 1st dug didnt come out too bad[;)]

Ki18225.jpg

Attachments

• Ki18225.jpg
    Ki18225.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 76

diggerjeff

Reaction score
my first dug bottle was a lydia pinkhams. it was the oldist thing i ever remember seeing at 14 yo. i am now 46 and still have it!! it is a very common bottle but is special to me!!!!!

madman

Reaction score
im just gonna say nice swizzle!! from the heart right on brother!! hey digger boy nice find looks like wildroot bottle to me mike

TheDiggerBoy91

Reaction score
Thanx guys. Ya, it's not worth anything (Heck, it's not even that old), but it's very special to me and always will be. This bottle marks a move in a different direction for me!! No longer do I surface-pick. I've now become a full-fledged bottledigger Yah!!!!

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alatide