3 old jars. What do you see?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

jolosho

Reaction score
These are the rest of my big jars. The first one has a metal insert where a hole has been poked into it. It seems to be a tight fit. I think the middle one is late 1890's, and I don't know about the last one except for the ground lip. When you pick up the middle jar along the seam, about the middle of the jar, you realize the glass is drawn in at that point. It is almost like the curve of a woman, or when you hold in your stomach! I don't know if you can see that in any photos I have taken already but you can easily feel it.

The green jar on the other post has the same thing, a slight hourglass feel. What is that about?

609BE0735D21427386116E90DAC665F5.jpg

Attachments

• 609BE0735D21427386116E90DAC665F5.jpg
    609BE0735D21427386116E90DAC665F5.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 75

georgeoj

Reaction score
When the glass blower has been working long enough to get the mold very hot and production is rapid (the glass blower would be paid for the number produced, not the time worked) jars were sometimes removed from the mold when they were still pliable. If the jar was gripped too tightly, the sides would push in. Crude jar collectors look for this deformity. The normal gripping point was at the mold seams and most jars that have this feature show it there. I was fortunate to make a trade with a forum member for a very nice 1858 mason that has the indentation in the embossing.

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: georgeoj

When the glass blower has been working long enough to get the mold very hot and production is rapid (the glass blower would be paid for the number produced, not the time worked) jars were sometimes removed from the mold when they were still pliable. If the jar was gripped too tightly, the sides would push in. Crude jar collectors look for this deformity. The normal gripping point was at the mold seams and most jars that have this feature show it there. I was fortunate to make a trade with a forum member for a very nice 1858 mason that has the indentation in the embossing.
That's what I was thinking, just moving from the mold to the annealing oven or whatever the next step was.

jolosho

Reaction score
The jar in the middle has that indentation pretty strong, I can even see it in the photo. The first jar also has it, but more on one side than the other. It does actually make it easier to hold. Maybe it helps me because I have smaller hands.

So is the middle jar made in the late 1890's?

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ROC.NYbottles