5 Matthews gravitational glass stoppers

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

RED Matthews

Reaction score
blobbottlebob, Hello, Well that is the first I heard of a Matthews stopper. I need one of them so count me in at five or 15 is OK?.
There is just new surprises all the time. Like me having to have my little toe off in a couple days or so. BAD NEWS for a diabetic.
Interesting review also. RED Matthews

blobbottlebob

Reaction score
Hey Red. Sorry to hear about your toe. Best of luck with the surgery. As far as I know, John Matthews tinkered with all kinds of soda apparatus but was most famous for this bottle closure type. The stoppers that I have on here have three rows of patent information embossed on them (including the Oct. 11 64 date) but they do not have the name "Matthews" on them.

Stardust

Reaction score
ALL VERY INTERESTING... RED, SORRY ABOUT YOUR TOE.. I KEEP YOU IN MY PRAYERS MY FRIEND. I'LL BE WATCHING THIS AUCTION...

sweetrelease

Reaction score
hi, in the sept. 2001 issue of antique bottle & glass mag, they have a whole right up about the stoppers you have and the one capsoda has pictured. it was written by tod von mechow and he called them "wm. l. roorbach's " self closing stopper. he says it was also used by a geo. w. tucker of philadelphia. are these two stoppers the same? they look just like the one warren has pictured .thanks ~matt

Tony14

Reaction score
He was probably refering to the names of a few specific bottlers that used this type of stopper. Im out Red, good luck in getting them[:)]

sweetrelease

Reaction score
hi tony in the article the author has pictures of the stopper in old ads and the ads say that the "self sealing" stoppers were made by wm l. roorbach and george w. tucker. philadelphia ,pa. one of the ads reads ( wm. l. roorbach's patent self-closing stopper" it is clean ,simple, durable and the best stopper yet produced for sealing carbonated beverages" circular of explanation sent on application. 205n. third st )

blobbottlebob

Reaction score
Interesting. I have heard of these bottles being embossed with 'Albertson' on them but not the names you mention. Any chance you could post a picture of the page? Or is it available online? I will post a picture of the bottom of a bottle to show the normal patent content.

sweetrelease

Reaction score
hi bob , i will try to scan a pic . if you look online it is the sept. 2001 antique bottle & glass collector mag.not sure if you can view it online. it is a nice two page article and goes into detail ,with dates and such. i'm not sure if it is the same stopper,but hell if it does not look just like the one capsoda has in his pick,thanks .~matt

blobbottlebob

Reaction score
Here is a picture of the bottom of a Matthews bottle. This one is still wet from coming out of the water.

866703DE929D472AA8093D3916EBBF18.jpg

Attachments

• 866703DE929D472AA8093D3916EBBF18.jpg
    866703DE929D472AA8093D3916EBBF18.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 76

blobbottlebob

Reaction score
I just checked out the website for Antique Bottle & Glass Magazine. Nice site. Some fantastic pictures. (I enjoyed shuffling through some colorful target ball pics). However, I did not see a link for past issues. There were some articles, but I didn't see the correct one.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alatide