500 for 1

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

madpaddla

Reaction score
Matt said it best. The part about having a balance. I am learning that ....but its a process. And I totally agree bottle directions do change. Its fun either way.
Madpaddla

cyberdigger

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: baltbottles

ORIGINAL: cyberdigger

Every time I bring home a "good" bottle, I try to replace a crummy one one the shelf with it.. so slowly ever so slowly, my collection is improving just a bit.. "great" bottles are still kind of out of my reach.. for now.. I still enjoy the great horde effect, until I have to move!

My question is what counts as a "great" bottle to you?

Chris

A "great" bottle is, in my own definition, one that I would be afraid to be the owner of.. one that is known to be one of a kind, or worth more than all of my body parts put together.. OK that's a REALLY great bottle... great ones are worth more than 100 bucks to other collectors.

deep digger

Reaction score
A great bottle to me might not be a great bottle to someone else. I have a bottle wich I consider great it is a one of a kind milk bottle from hightstown nj . I think it is great #1 because I dug it and #2 because its very rare.Its true a bottle of GREAT value should be considered great but I think sometimes rarity outweighs value just sometimes.

Poison_Us

Reaction score
That is true, DD.We have found that the rarest of bottles dont always command the highest price. Design and personal appeal will drive any bottle up in price. We have several bottles which are very rare, only 10 or so known as the book says, and command a pretty good price. But we have several others that are a bit less rare, 50 or so known, that prices close to or over the G mark. They just appeal more to the eye and become more desirable.

mgardziella

Reaction score
When I started out collecting I just bought any soda bottle under $3 I could find. There were 2 problems with this. 1 I turned my nose up at "expensive" bottles that were actually great bargains, and I was getting a large collection of cheap, common bottles. After realizing there were thousands of sodas from America, I decided to concentrate on buying local bottles and ones that I knew I could resell for a higher price.

Oldtimer

Reaction score
I finally gave up on dragging home any old bottle I found and started concentrating on finding and obtaining a certain type. Much happier now. In time, I will switch from the NH druggists and focus on more "top end" stuff..

cyberdigger

Reaction score
OK, I just came into very close to 500 common bottles, and I am happy as a pig in poop!! [:)]

cyberdigger

Reaction score
I'm probably one of the weirder bottle collectors but so be it.. I was only 5 years old when first empassioned by an old bottle.. that feeling never left me.. digging is a blast, and I had a really great site all to myself for 2 years, brought home 2000 bottles and studied every one.. gave them away like halloween candy for a while, even to curious strangers watching me muck around in the river.. I still have a loose palm when somebody expresses interest in something from the horde.. it's nice to have a lot of gift material. I was never in this for profit, and never will be.. I paint for money.. I just love bottles and learning about them, trading them, gifting them and finding second lives for them.. I just bought a bunch of strapsides for the express purpose of filling them with homemade palinka and giving them as gifts.. same goes for 6 Johann Hoffs, 6 saratoga ales, 6 Saxlehners and various other designs.. just to use them again, because they are old and beautiful and still useful to me. I bought a couple hundred commons ( I think) just so I can learn about them, and pass that info on to others.. foods, meds, inks, perfumes, anything I did not already know about came home with me.. hopelessly addicted to BIM I am but smiling nonetheless!

passthebottle

Reaction score
Hey Cyber, congradulations on those 500. What are you going to do with all those commons, my guess is that you'll keep 10-20 of the best ones , maybe even shelf a few, then probably try to dump the rest at some point .

cyberdigger

Reaction score
Did I stutter? [:D]

Sorry I'm such a weisenheimer, PTB.. I think you didn't see my addendum...[;)]

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyH