A Beautiful Sickness

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

suzanne

Reaction score
Here's one of my dumbass ideas; I am just bursting with them. Maybe you could try mega hold hair spray.
I've never done that; I don't own any bottles like the one in the picture. If I did have one, I wouldn't spray
the bottle directly. I'd spray over the top and let it drift down into place. Then you would have to set it
somewhere it won't collect dust.

Little Wing

Reaction score
Antiquenut, i do want to get a few more photos by a window using my tripod if the sun ever comes out before the flakes are gone. i found so many bottles in the ground where i dug this one but only it has this rainbow thing going on.

suzanne, i was almost scared to join here after reading your intro thread. [&:] Digger Ry's tumbled bottles come out beautiful but i can't afford to do all mine even though i'd love to. i really don't have but 1 or 2 worth the expense. if you get any more books made up let me know. yes, i considered trying hairspray but i'm scared to change the colors. i'll get some good pics first and try it on a dull spot first. thanks.

Lordbud

Reaction score
Out here in the Bay Area we call the rainbow sickness "Benicia Glass" after the digging in the mud flats in Benicia in the '60s produced bottles with a pronounced multi-colored sick surface. I've also dug a few bottles with the "flaking sickness" as well particularly in a couple privies we dug in Mountain View many moons ago.

Little Wing

Reaction score
i googled Benicia Glass and got a glass art place. i figured googleing sick glass would get some pretty results but it must be a well kept secret. if you google "a beautiful sickness" though we are the 7th topic. [8|] where i'm digging there seems to be old stove ash.

PrivyProwler

Reaction score
Little Wing, Looks like you have located a (TOC) turn of century Dump[:)]. Just because you haven't found alot of great keepers doesn't mean you wont. Keep poking at it and im sure you will have a nice collection of embossed keepers. Another thing to keep in mind is that in theory, the deeper you dig the older the bottles get. Good Luck!

JOETHECROW

Reaction score
Northwestern Pa. (Near scenic Lake Perfidy)
ORIGINAL: Little Wing

i'm not sure which is sicker me or the bottle. i cannot stop digging in the dirt.

i don't think i can stand to wash it. it's coming off in flakes so i wanted to capture it.

http://img134.imageshack.us/i/wowwww.jpg/ larger image

3C74452629544D108E4C3C0E6310142A.jpg

Hi Little Wing,...Welcome to the forum. Your above words of not being able to stop digging in the dirt....How true. I caught the bottle habit when I was a teenager during the 70's. It has only intensified over the years,...other interests came and went but bottle collecting has always remained interesting. All the cool embossing, the crazy quack meds and their outrageous claims, the ultra cool shapes, colors, crudeness and form. How about purple sun-colored bottles,...I mean, how cool is all that?...Not to mention the awesome thrill of digging these things up!...Alright, please pardon my ramble, This bottle when dug, 28 years ago, looked much like your flaking example....It's retained some of it's original beauty...I had one other, a "Wyckoff's Union Bluing" bottle that was even more iridecent, but it got ebayed years ago. Thanks and welcome.
Joe

D9C8CAD51312410A8C5331D1020B63AF.jpg

Attachments

• D9C8CAD51312410A8C5331D1020B63AF.jpg
    D9C8CAD51312410A8C5331D1020B63AF.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 41

Little Wing

Reaction score
that's a pretty one for sure.

the blueing bottles i'm finding are spelled with an e but i'm guessing yours was also a laundry product?

saturday i had a horrible fever and chills... probably just a very nasty chest cold that hits like ummm an earthquake in non earthquake territory (i've been looking at the display thread) but there were three times i sat for a few minutes and had to talk myself out of going to dig. not easy to resist when i'm digging maybe 500 feet from my house and the ground is going to be frozen soon. i was smart enough not to but my sleep brought fever dreams in which i found a bottle [&:]. when i'm digging i don't want to stop even if it starts to rain or gets dark. the next one might be awesome. i'd make a good crazy pirate looking for treasure or miner panning for gold.

as you can see no need to apologize for rambling. maybe that's what that song "ramblin' man" was secretly about. :p

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BigJayKay