A few Ontario bottles.

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
I'll trade the book for bottles.

What sort of bottles do you collect specifically? I'm not sure I've got enough that you would be interested in that I don't need in my collection. My Ontario collection isn't particularly big unfortunately.

mctaggart67

Reaction score
Cross-Canada medicine, drugstores and poisons, pre-1920 and in excellent or better condition.

RCO

Reaction score
I assume that book is out of print, correct? I'd like to pick one up but I expect it's pretty expensive.

I've never seen an older Kealey's bottle but it doesn't surprise me that it exists, there are lots of early 20th century embossed Ottawa sodas that I don't know about.

That Almonte store is very good for bottles, not necessarily for Ottawa bottles but it's got lots of stuff from smaller Eastern Ontario towns. The only store in Ottawa that still has any decent bottles is a little store in Brittania Beach. I got a nice early labeled Brockville druggist bottle a little while ago from there.

I have another book from the 1970's , called "Ontario soda water bottles " by j Hostetler/ M Carter , it has a listing for 2 Kealey's bottles from Ottawa , both aqua , one says "Kealey's limited Ottawa " and other "Kealey's Ottawa " says both were worth between $5-$10 at the time

it covers the time period of the artic pop but makes no mention of it in book , so assuming the author hadn't seen one either

RCO

Reaction score
Yeah it's called Antique Hoarders and it's located at Howe and Britannia. Been meaning to stop by there again one of these days. It's not a fantastic antique store by any means but it's the best in Ottawa for smaller stuff like bottles, as far as I know.

never heard of that store before , have been to Britannia beach before but I can't remember exactly why I was there but don't think I ever went swimming there

its definitely not in a high profile location , most people wouldn't drive by that part of the city , its a long way from the main tourist areas

nostalgia

Reaction score
Yeah it's called Antique Hoarders and it's located at Howe and Britannia. Been meaning to stop by there again one of these days. It's not a fantastic antique store by any means but it's the best in Ottawa for smaller stuff like bottles, as far as I know.

Thanks for the info! I'll have to plan to stop there the next time I'm around :)

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
Cross-Canada medicine, drugstores and poisons, pre-1920 and in excellent or better condition.
Unfortunately I don't think I've got much that you would be interested in that section, apart from the stuff that I don't want to part with! Thanks for the offer though, I really appreciate it!

Canadacan

Reaction score
I have another book from the 1970's , called "Ontario soda water bottles " by j Hostetler/ M Carter , it has a listing for 2 Kealey's bottles from Ottawa , both aqua , one says "Kealey's limited Ottawa " and other "Kealey's Ottawa " says both were worth between $5-$10 at the time

it covers the time period of the artic pop but makes no mention of it in book , so assuming the author hadn't seen one either

So I guess even by todays standards it's a pretty tough to find...I know you found the one on ebay but I bet they don't show up often, I'm referring to the Artic Pop.

Canadacan

Reaction score
Looks like Kealey's was around before 1910 according to this this ad, note the name Kealey's Aerated Waters.
On another note I located his obituary which was on a main page, he was a fairly prominent and respected business man in Ottawa, he passed away in 1946, I don't know if the business was running at that time.

kealey's- The Ottawa Journal, 10 Dec 1935, Tue, 50th ANNIVERSARY EDITION....source newspapers dot com.

Artic Pop-kealey's- The Ottawa Journal,  10 Dec 1935, Tue,  50th ANNIVERSARY EDITION.jpg

This is the earliest ad I could locate so far form 1913.

Kealey's- The Ottawa Journal, 01 Mar 1913, Sat....source newspapers dot com.

Artic Pop-Kealey's- The Ottawa Journal,  01 Mar 1913, Sat.jpg

Ok I just located a better clipping of his obit., so he started the business in 1906.

Kealey's- The Ottawa Journal, 14 Dec 1946, Sat.....source newspapers dot com.
Artic Pop-Kealey's-  The Ottawa Journal,  14 Dec 1946, Sat.jpg[SUB][SUP]
[/SUP][/SUB]

Last edited:

RCO

Reaction score
So I guess even by todays standards it's a pretty tough to find...I know you found the one on ebay but I bet they don't show up often, I'm referring to the Artic Pop.

its a funny time period to try and figure out how rare a bottle is , some bottles I have from this period I've never seen another one for sale , others I see at antique stores or ebay fairly often , its hard to determine exactly

being from Ottawa as its been mentioned before that there isn't a lot of dumps dug up from that time period or places within the city to find bottles we can assume its not common at this point

Canadacan

Reaction score
Ok here are a couple ads featuring Artic Pop....one with the very same bottle depicted!....I love contest advertisements.
I doubt any actual bottles had the 'Bottled by Kealey's Ottawa' on the face as shown in the ad.

Artic Pop- The Ottawa Journal, 11 Jun 1932, Sat....source newspapers dot com.

Artic Pop-  The Ottawa Journal,  11 Jun 1932, Sat.jpg

Artic Pop- The Ottawa Journal, 18 Jun 1932, Sat.....source newspapers dot com
Artic Pop-  The Ottawa Journal,  18 Jun 1932, Sat.jpg

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lichen