A SODA POP STORY

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
~ A SODA POP STORY ~

(Part Fact - Mostly Fiction)

By:

Robert C. Brown

Copyright: October 15, 2010

I was born in San Diego, California in 1901, and grew up on my families chicken ranch in the country east of the city. I had three older brothers and a sister. Everyone called me “Little Bobby†at the time, which was a name I never particularly liked, but I was stuck with it until I was about ten. Although I don’t recall very much before I was about five years of age, my parents told me later it was a very exciting time to be born. But a few things I do remember. Things like playing with a cast iron bank that was shaped like a whale and a man named Jonah got swallowed up every time I put a penny in it and activated the little lever. I really loved that toy bank and wish I still had it. Another thing I remember is looking through a book that had all of these amazing illustrations in it. It was titled “The Wizard of Oz,†and although it was published in 1900, the copy I had at the time was a first edition and was like brand new. I still have that old book, and whenever I thumb through it these days my childhood memories come flooding back to me.

When I started school in 1906 I learned how to read and write, and by the time I was six I could write my name in cursive just like the older kids were doing. My kindergarten teacher said I was the best writer in my class, and she even gave me a gold star once that I always had pined on my shirt until I lost it one day in the playground. I went back and looked for it on numerous occasions, but I never did find it.

It was around 1910 when I started reading in earnest. I can’t remember exactly how many books I read back then, but I know it was a lot. My favorite one of all was by a man named Jack London, and the book was titled “The Call of the Wild.†I think it was first published in 1903. I also liked other books that dealt with history and stuff. It was from those books that I learned about all the amazing events and incredible inventions that were so popular at the time. Some of the more memorable events I recall reading about were things like the Wright Brother’s first flight in 1903. And then there was the building of the Panama Canal that was still under construction at the time, but not completed until 1914. In 1911 when I was in the fourth grade and ten years old , I wrote an entire five page book report about the earthquake that occurred in San Francisco in 1906. I got an A+ on that report and my parents were very proud of me.

I think it was the inventions I liked reading about the most. In 1903 a man by the last name of Ford invented a car, and by 1908 it seemed like everyone had one. I can still remember the first car my father brought home in 1909. We were the first family in our neighborhood to have one, and we loved riding in that car more than anything. It even had a horn that my dad used to let me honk, especially if there was a stray chicken in the road, which there seemed to be a lot of back then. But it was never our chickens that got out. Starting at about the age of ten it was my main chore to inspect and maintain the fences that surrounded our property. It was a rare occasion that a chicken got out, or a varmint got in.

But it wasn’t all work and no play back then. My family loved baseball, and even though there wouldn’t be a professional team in San Diego until the Padres got their start in 1936, my oldest brother played shortstop on his high school team, and we went to every home game, which were always played on a Friday. I remember one game in particular because it was the first time I recall ever drinking Coca Cola. Normally we just made our own root beer at home that we concocted from Hire’s extract and bottled and corked ourselves.

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
That home-brewed root beer was good, but I never realized what I was missing until I had my first ice cold Coca Cola. It was at one of my oldest brother’s baseball games and it was an extremely hot and muggy afternoon in May of 1913. My dad and I, along with my two other brothers, were seated in the open bleachers and literally sweltering under a broiling hot sun. Not long after the game got started a hawker wearing a funny looking paper hat came our way shouting “Coca Cola - Get your ice cold Coca Cola here!†When my dad asked if my brothers and I wanted one, I didn’t hesitate for a moment to respond with a very enthusiastic “yes!“ And the next think I knew I was chugging down that amazing tasting elixir like there was no tomorrow. No doubt I had tried something other than root beer by that time, after all I was twelve years old by then. But if I did ever experience other flavors, I sure don’t recall it tasting anything like Coca Cola. In fact, it was so good , after finishing that first bottle I asked my dad if I could have another one. A moment later he fished a nickel out of his pocket and handed it to me. But by then the vendor had moved off and I had to track him down near the concession stand where he was reloading his ice filled shoulder bucket with more bottles of Coca Cola. It was then that I noticed a stack of empty bottles all neatly arranged in their wooden cases sitting next to the concession building. And it was at that very moment that I became the soda bottle collector I am today. I took two empty bottles home with me that day and put them on a shelf in my bedroom along with my Wizard of Oz book and a few other cherished items I displayed there. I arranged the two Coca Cola bottles on the shelf so their labels faced outwards where I could see them and dream about the next time I could have one. That next bottle of Coca Cola would come soon enough, and within just a few short days I had used some of my weekly allowance of fifty-cents a week and bought two more bottle at five-cents each.

That was in back in 1917. But by my eighty-third birthday in 1984 I had accumulated a life-time total of exactly 7,264 individual Coca Cola bottles. I stopped collecting them at that time because of they crazy prices people wanted for them. A few in my collection were from my youth that I bought new at grocery stores and elsewhere. But the majority of them I sought out in later years and added to my collection one at a time. And not a single bottle in my collection was what they later started calling a hobbleskirt. Every bottle in my collection was straight sided and had a paper label. Most were aqua in color, with a number of them being an amber brown, and sometimes even clear.

I must have gathered up some pretty rare bottles over the years, because with my daughter’s help right after my one-hundredth birthday in 2001 I sold the entire collection for a surprising $275,000.00. I guess that was a good price at the time, but to me an ice cold bottle of Coca Cola is still only worth a nickel. Which is just the way I remember my very first bottle at my brother’s high school baseball game way back when. I still laugh to myself every time I take out a calculator and enter 7,264 Xs 5-cents. It only comes to $363.20. But then, my calculator nor my memory work all that well these days, so I could be wrong about the numbers. But one thing I know for certain; Coca Cola is the best tasting soda pop I ever had. I guess that’s why to this very day they still call me Soda Pop Bob.

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
1915 Coca Cola Ad W/ Baseball Player

A4FF3E8544C7436396F0C5B73EBAD442.jpg

Attachments

• A4FF3E8544C7436396F0C5B73EBAD442.jpg
    A4FF3E8544C7436396F0C5B73EBAD442.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 76

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
P.S ~

And yes, your calculator and/or ability to add properly works just fine. Next month I will be 109 years old, and still chugging ice cold bottles of Coca Cola just like I used to as a kid.

Sincerely,

SODAPOPBOB

cyberdigger

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: SODAPOPBOB

P.S ~

And yes, your calculator and/or ability to add properly works just fine. Next month I will be 109 years old, and still chugging ice cold bottles of Coca Cola just like I used to as a kid.

Goodness gracious little Bobby! Is this part of the fictional element of the story? Please confirm..

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
blob ~ Thanks. I'm glad you liked it.
cyber ~ Thanks for stopping by. Yep! On November 22nd I will be 109 - 50 = 59 years young. [:D]

Below are a couple of Coca Cola bottles I picked up along the way. One has an original label and the other is a fake. Can you tell which is which?

CDA89D0B55C3424A858D6D0EFE6C136E.jpg

Attachments

• CDA89D0B55C3424A858D6D0EFE6C136E.jpg
    CDA89D0B55C3424A858D6D0EFE6C136E.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 73

GACDIG

Reaction score
I say the one on the left is real. The separation between the C and L in Cola tells the truth I was told.
gac

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
JOETHECROW / GACDIG ~

I got the photo of the two labeled bottles and the following quote from Reggie Lynch's Coca Cola website where it states ...

In this photo, the repro label is on the left and the original label is on the right. According to the Petretti book on Coke bottles, the repro labels have even/straight/uniform lines while the originals had uneven/dotted lines. [/align] [/align]Reggie Lynch Link : http://www.antiquebottles.com/coke/

To see the photos again just scroll down to where it starts with ... "The S-S Cokes" ... and then open the "view photo" boxes.[/align] [/align] ~ * ~[/align] [/align]Another tid-bit of interesting information that recently came my way involves the following two bottles. The first of which is the Birmingham, Alabama (Root) / (Hutchinson) Coca Cola bottle shown below. The second bottle is on the page that follows. [/align]
04C6D0354F57493691ED4EBFB60ADDD9.jpg

Attachments

• 04C6D0354F57493691ED4EBFB60ADDD9.jpg
    04C6D0354F57493691ED4EBFB60ADDD9.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 74

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jimk26