A tragedy of epic proportions

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

mgardziella

Reaction score
Hey all, I'm in a pretty bummed mood right now and needed a place to vent. My neighbors across the street had a barn sale today. Last year at the barn sale I came home with a nice soda cooler. Anyways this year I almost went over at 9 o'clock, but I had to help with my church's VBS. I come back around 1:45 to look around and my neighbor says "Hey Matt. I was hoping you'd come here earlier. We sold a Coke sign we had in our attic earlier. (Holds hands up to indicate a very large sign) I would have called you, but I wasn't sure if that was the kind of stuff you liked." I sort of stammer out that I do in fact like that sort of stuff and ask about the sign's condition. "Oh it was in excellent shape. I sold it for $30 to a guy who was here earlier." I reply "$30! you could have gotten more for it than that!" She says "Yeah, I had it priced at $50 (I gulp because that's still a steal) but he was buying some other stuff so we made a deal for $30." Needless to say I left only after making sure the neighbors knew to call me with any soda finds, bottles, caps ANYTHING. Anyways I'm feeling rather dejected. If only I had gone a couple hours earlier I'd have a sign worth multiple hundreds of dollars for super cheap. And to think it was just across the street from me the whole time! Argh.

pyshodoodle

Reaction score
Did you tell him how much it was really worth so he can feel bad too, or are you hoping to get a possible bargain out of him in the future?[;)]

When I was a really little - maybe 4 or 5 - the neighbor's granddaughter who was a couple years older and quite bossy pulled this white "house" out of our millrace. I saw it, but she could reach it and I couldn't. She gave it to her grandparents who I think still have it and are in their 90's. Every time I see it or think about it, I want it and I remember how mad I was at her for keeping it just cuz I couldn't reach it.

When I was about 6, I found an old Greenstamp sign in the woods and had it propped up next to "my" tree (early decorating with garbage). The neighbor saw it & seemed to think he "found" it and took it home.

I still get upset about both these things and I'm 43!

cyberdigger

Reaction score
..the problem is if they're sitting on another one..[8|] ..I think crying like a spoiled brat gets the best results.. works on me every time!![:D]

mgardziella

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I considered dropping a hint at the value, but I was afraid they'd come up with something else...
Cap, you're right, I just wish I'd have stopped by beforehand.

glass man

Reaction score
KNOW HOW YOU FEEL! I GOT A FRIEND [YES HE STILL IS!] THAT HAD A VERY OLD BIBLE,NOW THAT AIN'T A BIG DEAL,BUT WHAT WAS IS THE BIBLE HAD BEEN TRANSLATED TO SOME AMERICAN INDIAN LANGUAGE BY SOME MISSIONARIES! [THIS WAS IN THE 70S AND DON'T REMEMBER THE AGE OF BIBLE ,LATE 1700S OR EARLY 1800S SEEMS LIKE,DON'T REMEMBER WHAT TRIBE OR WHAT MISSIONARIES] WELL I OFFERED HIM $25 AND HE SAID HE WOULD THINK ABOUT IT. FAIR ENOUGH! WELL THE NEXT WEEK AT OUR BOTTLE SHOW HE COMES UP AND INFORMS ME HE HAD SOLD THE BIBLE........FOR $25!!!!!![:mad:][:mad:] I COULD NOT EVEN RESPOND! I JUST COULD NOT UNDERSTAND -1 WHY COME AND TELL ME? 2-WHY WASN'T MY $25 AS GOOD AS THE PERSON HE SOLD IT TOO? 3- AND WE FRIENDS!![:-] OH WELL ALL I CAN SAY IS I GOT SO MANY GREAT DEALS OVER THE YEARS FROM HIM I CAN'T SAY MUCH....BUT WHY?[:-] NEVER ASKED CAUSE I KNEW I WOULD JUST GET MAD AND LOSE A FRIEND THAT BY FAR HAS DONE ME REALLY GOOD! THIS WAS THE ONLY TIME HE DID A THING LIKE THIS!JAMIE

ncbred

Reaction score
Its like our old local Pizza Inn. They have several advertising signs I'd love to have off the walls that people seem to want to vandalize. One fishtail Coke sign thats easily worth several hundred just sitting on the wall inside a booth. I'm tempted to ask the manager how much. Vintage old lunch boxes, vintage Mickey Mouse memorabilia, and lots of other old stuff in there.

jays emporium

Reaction score
The reason he sold me that porcelain Coke sign for $30. is that I also bought the Coke neon clock for $20.

Just kidding.

Miles

Reaction score
Ah, been there done that- a brand new metal detector swapped from the free bin at a yard sale by some 80 year old lady and her friend, still pains me to this day [:mad:]

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Claudia1