A very successful dig!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Wheelah23

Reaction score
I went back again to my dump today. The success of this dig taught me the best strategy for finding bottles in the dump. Previously, I was focusing on digging deep in the same hole every time. I found this large pocket of bottles by digging shallowly across a rather large area. I think this will be my strategy from now on, as you can't deny these results.

First is the mild heart attack picture, five blobs and crown tops sticking out side by side. Don't ask me why they're arranged like this, Mother Nature can be a trickster. The picture was taken by my cell phone, so don't blame me for the blurriness.

image05282011162408.jpg

Here's the day's finds

img4034sf.jpg

Here they are a bit cleaner. I learned the hard way that I don't have sufficient cleaning apparatus for these taller bottles, so tomorrow I will hopefully get some long bendy wire to which I can attach some sponge.

img4035e.jpg

This was the first bottle I pulled out. It's a near mint example, the only thing that would make it better is if it was a blob... I dug a broken one here a couple months ago, so I am glad to get a whole one in such nice condition. It's a George Greason tooled crown top from Montclair.

img4040g.jpg

A bit later, I got a quart sized version of this bottle. Two things strike me about it. First of all, insted of the regular TBNTBS embossing, mine says "THIS BOTTLE/ IS REGISTERED". Secondly, look at the neck. It narrows considerably where the tooling for the crown starts. I think the mold was originally made for a blob, and the glass house just switched to crown tops without changing the mold. This makes 4 different Greason variants I own.

img4041q.jpg

Next is a common quart blob from Newark. I had a clear one already, and I dug two aqua ones and another clear one today. I am going to give one away at the next bottle club meeting, just for fun. This one is the nicest example, with strong embossing, nice aqua color, and whittled glass.

img4044l.jpg

I dug a different Newark blob as well. I come across Newark bottles a lot, because I live and dig a few minutes away from Newark. I don't know the rarity of this bottle, but if this website's price is anything to go by, it might be a decent one. "FEIGENSPAN/ P.O.N./ TRADE MARK/ NEWARK, N.J./ THIS BOTTLE NOT TO BE SOLD". I found out P.O.N. stands for "Pride of Newark".

img4050z.jpg

This one's a puzzler. Don't quote me on this, but I think I saw something similar a while ago that I think was a milk bottle. Ideas?

img4052d.jpg

I also dug another one of those butter/cheese mini crocks. This one has some blue lines on it that look like cracks, but I don't feel them at all. Second one I've dug, so they're probably common.

img4059la.jpg

I know these are super common, but I had to bring it home, as it was my first. "CHEESEBOROUGH MFG CO./ VASELINE".

img4061b.jpg

Jar lid again? That makes 8 in as many digs.

img4062w.jpg

This was the crier of the day, I think. It's an apple green Carter's cone ink. [:(]

img4063g.jpg

I don't really know what this was. It looks like the base of a light olive green/yellow torpedo soda. It can stand on its own. The base is flat, but on the inside, it has what looks like a kickup base.

img4073s.jpg

This is a porcelain lid to something. I'll post some more pictures in the "Unexpected" forum.

img4053c.jpg

And now for the crown jewels of the dig (I apologize for that pun, I couldn't help myself.) Up till now, I had four variations of the J.W. Ransley bottles, all blobs. I never realized they had crown tops, until now, that is. All three are tooled, and look like the molds were used for blobs, then were switched to crown tops, like the Greason quart.

The first one is identical to the one epackage gave me, except this one is a crown, not a blob. "J.W. RANSLEY/ EAST ORANGE, N.J.".

img4049cm.jpg

This one has "& SON" tacked underneath the regular "J.W. RANSLEY" embossing.

img4048q.jpg

This one has "& SON" tacked on after "J W RANSLEY". So it turns out all three are different, but only slightly. Now I've got 7 different Ransley variants.

img4047r.jpg

That's about it. Questions? Comments? Concerns?

madman

Reaction score
those are some really nice finds! ive seen a ransly bottle similar to the one youve found 7oz crown got it?

madman

Reaction score
ok so ransley is a big bottler in orange nj?

epackage

Reaction score
Great going Connor, you are the official Ransley King now, freaky how they just took the blobs and put the tooled crown on them, they just don't look right, which really makes them cool in my eyes...Keep up the good work and let me know if you find anything Paterson there....[8D]

epackage

Reaction score
I think I count 5 blobs in the group pic but I only see two with descriptions, you holding out on us ???? LOL

Wheelah23

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: madman

those are some really nice finds!  ive seen a ransly bottle similar to the one youve found 7oz crown got it?

I've got the 7 oz. blob, and at this rate, I'll probably get the crown version soon anyway!

ORIGINAL: madman

ok so ransley is a big bottler in orange nj?

Ransley was the only bottler I know of in East Orange, which is a pretty large city. I think his firm had to be large, because he was serving the whole city. In the 1910 edition of "American Bottler", there is a For Sale ad that says:
"For Sale
50 gross Cork Wired Quart Soda Bottles. Rotary Filler and Sirup Filler in fine order. Write us quick. J.W. Ransley & Son Co., East Orange, N.J."​

I assume this to be the end date for Ransley's operations, so all of my bottles are older than 1910. I don't really collect machine made bottles from my area, so it doesn't really concern me who took over Ransley's operations. I think the competition from bottlers who switched to ABMs must have driven Ransley bankrupt.

ORIGINAL: epackage

Great going Connor, you are the official Ransley King now, freaky how they just took the blobs and put the tooled crown on them, they just don't look right, which really makes them cool in my eyes...Keep up the good work and let me know if you find anything Paterson there....[8D]

Hmm... Ransley King... I could get used to that title! Muahahahaha! I am on my way to becoming the Geason King, too!

img4074m.jpg

img4079k.jpg

ORIGINAL: epackage

I think I count 5 blobs in the group pic but I only see two with descriptions, you holding out on us ???? LOL

Don't you think I would brag about every one if they were worth posting? Lol [:D]. I dug three of the quart Horton & Richardson blobs, and one of the other blobs I dug was unembossed, so I didn't picture it.

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score
Good going Kid,you did better then us [:D]
We had permission for this lot but nobody told him [8D]

98ABBDEB28524F64BCE84C0725B35E34.jpg

Attachments

• 98ABBDEB28524F64BCE84C0725B35E34.jpg
    98ABBDEB28524F64BCE84C0725B35E34.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 62

Steve/sewell

Reaction score
Nice work Conner thanks for sharing the dig with us. Ouch that 7-up colored ink well would have been a sharp bottle had it been whole.

rockbot

Reaction score
Good score Wheel! love the line-up.[:D]
That kick up looking bottle is just that.

creeper71

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: Steve/sewell

Nice work Conner thanks for sharing the dig with us. Ouch that 7-up colored ink well would have been a sharp bottle had it been whole.
Isn't that how it always goes? All the decent/rare bottles are busted an almost every dang common is whole?

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lichen