Added Purple Radway - seen one before?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

truedigr

Reaction score
I have never seen a clear nor purple tinted Radways in my young 27 years of digging and collecting. Only aqua. RC

Lbrewer42

Reaction score
Thanks for all who have given opinions on the purple RRR. Ok, so I am guessing I need to be extra careful this one. How does it being purple affect its value in comparison to the a normal aqua one? I am familiar with the insulator hobby where color makes all the difference in the world concerning desirability and value. Is it the same with bottles?.
It appears this is an insider conversation but I have to ask, What is ICON, CEB, CREB?
ICON - [font="arial black,avant garde"]I[/font]nsulator [font="arial black,avant garde"]C[/font]ollectors [font="arial black,avant garde"]O[/font]n the [font="arial black,avant garde"]N[/font]etCREB = [font="arial black,avant garde"]CR[/font]own [font="arial black,avant garde"]E[/font]mbossed [font="arial black,avant garde"]B[/font]rookfiedCEB = ??? A CREB is an insulator made by W.Brookfield's plant,the Bushwick Glass Works (in the 1890s became Broolkfield Glass Company). The largest glass company of its day. The name W. Brookfield is embossed on the crown (sides of the dome) of the insulator as is the street address of the office. On the rear crown may or may not be (a) patent date(s). Jim helped me when I started researching this style of insulator...15 years ago! CREBs were made in various shapes - each assigned a Consolidated Design number (or CD) in the insulator hobby. Following is a pic of a CD145 CREB (or CREB145). These are normally aqua. This is a very rare chartesuse. The front crown is shown bearing Brookfield'sname, and the rear crown has patent dates relating to production. The number on top was to ID which group of men made the piece (piecework).

Attachments

• 7896cfd9a4cc4f4386eeda950063e118.jpg
    7896cfd9a4cc4f4386eeda950063e118.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 97
  • 4813c1bcc3544ec2bb31ca89455584be.jpg
    4813c1bcc3544ec2bb31ca89455584be.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 85

Lbrewer42

Reaction score
Oops - Jim - you are now on the mailing list and I will get the info out as soon as I have the books in hand and find shipping costs etc. Thanks and i hope it meets your expectations. There is a lot more than just CREB145s in it. Go back and see the ICON post from around the third or the New CJOW.

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
Thanks for clearing that up. CEB was something quoted back on post 8 that you said didn't sound right I guess.For the bottle, it could go either way to the right person but overall I don't think many will find it all that special. It's just what used to be clear turned a little amethyst and most bottle collectors look more for age first. As they got clear toward the end just means it's newer.Something like that but it could have been worded better.[8D]

botlguy

Reaction score
I might add to all this that insulators have their parts named as do bottles. The DOME is the very TOP of the insulator as the MOUTH of a bottle is the opening wherever it is located. The CROWN is the area just below the DOME. (Think of a person's head) Most insulators are female because they have SKIRTS and many have TEATS. (Just kidding about that one) [8D][8D] [:D] If you want to learn more about insulator nomenclature as well as all things insulator related go to www.insulators.info Jim

botlguy

Reaction score
I might add to all this that insulators have their parts named as do bottles. The DOME is the very TOP of the insulator as the MOUTH of a bottle is the opening wherever it is located. The CROWN is the area just below the DOME. (Think of a person's head) Most insulators are female because they have SKIRTS and many have TEATS. (Just kidding about that one) [8D][8D] [:D] If you want to learn more about insulator nomenclature as well as all things insulator related go to www.insulators.info Jim

Lbrewer42

Reaction score
@cowseatmaize - sorry I forgot the CEB. Originally when this type of insualtor was called a Dome Embossed Brookfield and Jim reminded it me it was actually a crown embossing, not a dome, The first acronym that came to mind was CEB - Crown Embosse Brookfield. Hoeber, this acronym does not lend itself to easy pronunciation as some would pronounce it "Keb,"and some might thing it "Seb." So I changed it to CREB... and the hobby took off with it. Funny how laziness in typing can add a word to the English language (you can google CREB insulator!). Thanks also for the info on the purple bottle. I guess I am too used to insulators where people collect many of the same type in different colors. I admit I would like to get different colored RRRs now - though not sure what is out there.

truedigr

Reaction score
Just my 2 cents about color. Radway's are a fairly common bottle with a few different variants. Pontilled of course being the more expensive. I can see your purple Radway probably bring 2x and maybe 3x what an aqua would bring. If you had a rare bitters or poison in that color, now your talking inflation. Common bottles in odd colors jump $10's, some bitters bottles or flasks jump $10,000's, even $100,000's. A few individuals, I know of, buy clear bottles for $10. They nuke them or purple them overnight, and sell the same bottle for $30. Look on ebay in the home decor section or bottles category and you will see plenty of them. I am not a big fan of this, but I guess whatever floats your boat. I find lots of insulators down here in Texas, but usually the same suspects / Hemingray's / Brookfields / AM TEL & TEL. RC

Lbrewer42

Reaction score
Thanks for this info on pricing. Interesting the difference in insulators vs bottles for desirability of odd colors. As to the irradiating of bottles, I am very familiar with irradiating glass. It was quite a few years ago one of the NIA officials if I could help with their study of irradiating insulators since there were some altered pieces being offered on ebay and people were getting taken in by thinking they were getting a real purple insulator. The purple this glass turns is normally a very grape-lollipop color and not what an unaltered item should look like. Also, the irradiated items, if exposed to direct sunlight for a short time, will almost always revert back to (close to) original color. There are some exceptions. Sitting in a window of sunlight may or may not revert it depending on the UV blocking factor of the glass. The above info should hold true with bottles as well as insulators. While looking for a radiation source, I met a professor at Edinboro State University of Pennsylvania that had has been irradiating glass and other items for years, then reverting them with sunlight, with this kind of result.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MotherMayhem