Ala-Cola Coke copycat Houston, Texas

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

ACLbottles

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I just thought I'd show the newest addition to my Coca-Cola copycat collection I'm working on. This is a clear Ala-Cola bottle from Houston, TX. It's embossed on the front shoulder Ala-Cola / Company. On the back shoulder it's embossed Houston, Texas. It seems to be fairly unusual for a soda like this to have the town embossed on the back shoulder; usually it's embossed on the heel. It's BIM and is the very first one I've seen. I really love the script on it! It closely resembles the Coca-Cola script, especially the word "Cola". If anyone has any other early copycat sodas they may be willing to part with I'd love to know! Thanks for looking!
IMG_2780.jpgIMG_2783.jpgIMG_2784.jpgIMG_2785.jpg

CreekWalker

Reaction score
Cool copy-cat! I dug one from Birmingham a few years. The Coke copycats make a great collection. I have a few left, from the 1990's, when I built up a sizable group. I haven't seen that one! Great find.

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
ACL

In case you have never seen this, here's a list of about 300 Coca Cola imitators as of 1919. Save and zoom to read ...

Coca Cola Imatators The Monroe Journal N.C. August 15, 1919  1.jpg

iggyworf

Reaction score
Very cool! How about some pics of all your copy-cats? That would be neat too see.

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Very cool! How about some pics of all your copy-cats? That would be neat too see.

iggy/Rich

Is your question for me in particular or everyone in general? Personally, I only have one copycat bottle that I can think of. Its a Taka Kola that I got from Bill Porter several years ago. It was a trade for a certain patent 1915 Coca Cola bottle that I had and he wanted. I don't collect Coca Cola imitation bottles. The only reason I made the trade with Bill is because the Taka Kola bottle was of equal value and just about the only one he wanted to part with.

Notice the imitation article I posted is dated August 15, 1919 and does not list the Taka Kola brand. The article attached here is dated January 9, 1919, which is seven months earlier, and shows the Coca Cola Company lost a lawsuit for Taka Kola in Charlotte, North Carolina. Which might it explain why Taka Kola was not listed in the August article.

Taka Kola  Bottle 6 Panels circa 1920.jpg

Taka Kola Charlotte Observer NC Jan 9, 1919.jpg

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
P.S.

That is, unless Tako Kola with an 'o' on the 1919 list is a misspelling for Taka Kola with an 'a' ? I really don't know, and because I'm not into Coca Cola imitators, I will bow out and just tag along for the ride ...

Taka Kola or Tako Kola The Monroe Journal N.C. August 15, 1919  7 (2).jpg

iggyworf

Reaction score
Thanx for the pic and info Bob, but is was directed at ACLbottles. I guess anybody else also. Interested to see all of ACL's collection.

CreekWalker

Reaction score
After Coke sued the competitors, probably wasn't many operating by the time ACL bottles were in use! But I would like to see some ACL Coke knock-offs. Here's a couple of regional Coke knockoffs, KOKE from Memphis and My Coca from Lexington Ky. bottle 015b.jpgbottle 015c.jpg

jblaylock

Reaction score
Creekwalker

Want an Aqua My Coca-Co from Lexington? I have one that I want rid of, it has a broke lip, but otherwise in good shape. Or, I know where one in good condition is if you want to pay for it. PM me if interested.

ACLbottles

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses everyone! Iggyworf, I just started this collection fairly recently so I don't have very many examples yet, but I will definitely post it sometime when I have more bottles to show!

CreekWalker, I tried to send you a PM to ask you a question (something kind of unrelated) but it wouldn't let me because it says you aren't receiving PMs. Do you think you could PM me or maybe give me an email address or something so that I could contact you? Thanks!

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bricri2