American Bottle Auction

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

GuntherHess

Reaction score
I have bought items from Glassworks, American Bottle Auctions, and Hecklers.

Have had no surprises from Hecklers or American Bottle Auctions so far.

CazDigger

Reaction score
I have seen damage and/or repairs, and poor/inaccurate descriptions in all the auctions. That is to be expected to some small degree. I think everyone expects them to be the ultimate experts, but they all make mistakes. It is how it is dealt with after the fact that makes the difference.

earlyglass

Reaction score
Cindy, I agree completely with your assessment. I am not bothered by the fact that a collector decided to return this bottle, as a return policy is clearly stated. The bottle in my opinion was not a 9.7, if a 10 is attic mint (flawless). The real travesty here is making this small issue into such a spectacle. This was really disappointing and unprofessional. I have always respected Jeff for what he offers to the hobby, and he seems like a genuinely nice guy... but this was way out of line. I hope he pulls down the blog because he is only hurting himself.

For the record, I am not the buyer "Joe" either.

Cindy, I am sending your bottle out tomorrow. I'm sure you will LOVE it, but if you don't... you can return it for a full refund, no questions asked and no public humiliation! :)

Mike

appliedlips

Reaction score
As someone mentioned earlier, it is just a part of doing business, any business. As Mike mentioned it is only hurting himself, the buyer choses to buy privately while Jeff is is the one in the public eye. Changing the name doesn't make it better, the buyer had probably told friends in the hobby of his purchase and he himself may be embarrassed. 9.7 should be damn close to perfect in my opinion. I think the return should be made and not a word said.

Little story, names withheld

At the National show auction in Wilmington Ohio, myself and friends sat close to two gentlemen during bidding. One a prominent West Coast auctioneer the other a collector who specializes in Bitter's bottles. Both men having a good time and plenty of drinks proceeded to bid on over half the lots being loud and making spectacles of themselves. Witnessed the auctioneer bidding and winning two lots with his buddies card while he got up to buy a drink. Laughing the whole time, knowing he had no interest in the bottles, I bet somebody did however. They were real class acts as they mocked the auctioneer conducting the auction, even heard the words " OOOOH it's from the **** ****** collection". That gentlemen was also in attendance and is a pioneer in our hobby and considered by many as the authority on a specific type of bottle. They made up for it by publicly buying everyone drinks and paying twice market value for dealer's bottles before the show. I drove to the show, which I didn't really have the time to set up much at, to offer a bitter's bottle to the collector in person after exchanging emails and phone calls for some time. After hearing him tell me of all the big checks he has written and hem hawing around and showing me the $5,000 bottle he paid $20,000 for and complaining the color wasn't as described I walked away. He bought the bottle in person mind you. My bottle was sold some months later to another for a fair price, which was the same price I offered it at. My first and last dealings with these characters. Sure they may buy a bottle I dig but it won't be without a auctioneers or dealers markup. I like to have fun and joke with the best of them, but hope I conduct myself in public better than this. No names mentioned.

appliedlips

Reaction score
I should mention I am not or don't know the buyer of the bottle in question. I have never had a bad experience with this auction house other than seeing irradiated bottles offered as natural, and modern glass sold as antiques. I would still buy from if I needed something from my collection but never consign to them. I would return bottles as I seen fit and he could make a blog about it if he wants. Jim at Glassworks, and Norm H., have always been fair with me. I have not used John Pastors service but would not hesitate as he is a gentleman and a credit to our hobby.

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
I didn't see the written description but I watched the video. Honestly it made my head spin twirling all about like that. I did see some light rainbow on the bottom but wouldn't swear whether it was the bottle or camera effect in court. If it was the bottle it might have been worth mentioning. If the buyer flashed on that, they should have asked.

phil44

Reaction score
They're all about the same in my opinion, I understand that they represent the the buyer and they want to sell for as much as possible.....For some reason I've always felt the the most comftorable with Glassworks. Not to say I haven't had problems but they seem to be the most knowledgeable efficient and honest from my experience.

annie44

Reaction score
Both men having a good time and plenty of drinks proceeded to bid on over half the lots being loud and making spectacles of themselves. Witnessed the auctioneer bidding and winning two lots with his buddies card while he got up to buy a drink. Laughing the whole time, knowing he had no interest in the bottles, I bet somebody did however. They were real class acts as they mocked the auctioneer conducting the auction, even heard the words " OOOOH it's from the **** ****** collection".

That's disturbing. Says a lot about their character.

BRIAN S.

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: appliedlips

As someone mentioned earlier, it is just a part of doing business, any business. As Mike mentioned it is only hurting himself, the buyer choses to buy privately while Jeff is is the one in the public eye. Changing the name doesn't make it better, the buyer had probably told friends in the hobby of his purchase and he himself may be embarrassed. 9.7 should be damn close to perfect in my opinion. I think the return should be made and not a word said.

Little story, names withheld

At the National show auction in Wilmington Ohio, myself and friends sat close to two gentlemen during bidding. One a prominent West Coast auctioneer the other a collector who specializes in Bitter's bottles. Both men having a good time and plenty of drinks proceeded to bid on over half the lots being loud and making spectacles of themselves. Witnessed the auctioneer bidding and winning two lots with his buddies card while he got up to buy a drink. Laughing the whole time, knowing he had no interest in the bottles, I bet somebody did however. They were real class acts as they mocked the auctioneer conducting the auction, even heard the words " OOOOH it's from the **** ****** collection". That gentlemen was also in attendance and is a pioneer in our hobby and considered by many as the authority on a specific type of bottle. They made up for it by publicly buying everyone drinks and paying twice market value for dealer's bottles before the show. I drove to the show, which I didn't really have the time to set up much at, to offer a bitter's bottle to the collector in person after exchanging emails and phone calls for some time. After hearing him tell me of all the big checks he has written and hem hawing around and showing me the $5,000 bottle he paid $20,000 for and complaining the color wasn't as described I walked away. He bought the bottle in person mind you. My bottle was sold some months later to another for a fair price, which was the same price I offered it at. My first and last dealings with these characters. Sure they may buy a bottle I dig but it won't be without a auctioneers or dealers markup. I like to have fun and joke with the best of them, but hope I conduct myself in public better than this. No names mentioned.

Was it your John Root's ?

tigue710

Reaction score
Reading back over my comment, I feel I didn't explain what I was trying to say so well, but I do think there are a lot of buyers out there now who don't understand that the bottles are mostly dug...

I don't think it's wrong to ask for feedback, although slightly unprofessional... Again the internet has created an impersonal experience here that would never materialize at the barn let's say...

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carpenter