American Bottle Auction

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

baltbottles

Reaction score
To me I feel the bottle in question was well represented but could have been represented better. Any iridescence is caused by the decay of the glass surface which usually indicates the bottle having been dug or exposed to some kind of chemicals. Granted the very minor iridescence would not have been an issue to me had I been bidding on the bottle. But to someone else they were expecting a near mint bottle and to them that meant a non dug example. Had the auctioneer simply stated that the bottle was likely dug but does not exhibit most of the effects of being burred except for some very minor iridescence the whole problem would never have occurred.

Chris

kungfufighter

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: annie44

Makes me even more grateful for our own kungfufighter and earlyglass. Both have always treated me respectfully, even though I know I am a customer who buys only their "lower end" items. They will answer questions and send me prices and pictures, even knowing that at the end of the day I likely will say "thanks for the info but I just can't afford it!" Although I have never had occasion to return a bottle to either Jeff or Mike, due to the fact that they very accurately describe the bottle I am interested in, I know that either one would take a return from me with no problem at all, and certainly no public harassment.

Thanks for the kind words Cindy! It's important to both Mike and I that we have a good relationship with our customers. Yes, I do like and need to make money every once in awhile (this is my job for better or worse) but it's supposed to be fun, isn't it?!

GuntherHess

Reaction score
Here is a link to a follow-up post by the auctioneer:

http://americanbottle.com/blog/?p=488

Reading his response I'm not sure Mr Wichman even now understands why a lot of people were outraged.
A simple apology probably would have been more apropriate but its his business to run as he sees fit.

old.s.bottles

Reaction score
I think the buyer should have been there to see the bottle in person if he really cared that much, but he should also be able to send the bottle back for a refund anyway...isnt the bottle insured when it's shipped? blame the postal service

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carpenter