American Flint Glass Works bottle/vase

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

babypeter

Reaction score
Replying to:
brianwi, David E., KentOhio,BRIAN S.

I found reference to American Flint Glass Works in the book "American Glass" by
George S. & Helen McKearin, copyright 1941&1948. My copy was from the 18th
printing in March of 1968. Page 591 states, "1843 - Patrick F. Slane established
the American Flint Glass Works. Products listed were "cut and pressed glassware,
lamps,lanterns, cologne bottles, vials, druggist wares, perfumers glassware, lip salve
boxes, etc" It also states that 1858 was the last listing in the Boston directories.
On the subject of flint glass, I did not mean to imply that the bottle was made of
flint glass, only that the name of the company was American Flint Glass Works. I'm
sure from their product list that they made more than just flint glass.
On the suggestion that it is a vase from the 1950's, I suppose that it is possible,
but please note the indentations at the base of the neck, it was handled manually
in shaping the neck and the seams running up the sides terminate at the neck base.
The initials supplied in my first post were in error, it should read A.F.G.W.C.
A period does appear after each letter, and there is no parentheses around the last
letter "C". In the additional photo closeup you see the lettering is in reverse order
(C.W.G.F.A.) and would appear correct if one were viewing it from inside the bottle.
I didn't mention this previously to avoid confustion. Any additional thoughts?

Mk26852.jpg

Attachments

• Mk26852.jpg
    Mk26852.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 73

KentOhio

Reaction score
This link has something to do with it, but I'm not sure what. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=988&item=3735142944&rd=1

David E

Reaction score
Reference is "Collector's Guide to American Pressed Glass 1825 to 1915 by Kyle Husfloen.
In the pressed glass years. roughly 1840 to 1865. Also pressing of glass began in the 1820's with furniture door knobs.
Have also read that as stated above that in the 1860's it was learned that leaded glass was no longer needed as was the thought before. was it was needed for strenght. So even though pressed glass was being pressed deep, lead was found not to be needed.
And yes the company was free to use it's flint glass name on all glass I would assume.
As far as repo's of pressed glass, yes a lot of the more popular pieces were reproduced and a lot of the same pieces had different names and varients.

Dave

Latest posts

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
agrounds1