American Flint Glass Works Bottle

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

babypeter

Reaction score
Hi, I'm a new poster,
The bottle pictured below has been in my possession for 50 odd years. It was
found in an attic in Medford, Mass., just outside Boston. Not dicernible are the letters
AFGW(C) impressed in the glass on the side of the bottle near the bottom. The lettering
is at a cocked angle, is small, but original to the bottle as it is pressed in the glass and
must have been part of the mold. The best I can figure is that it stands for American
Flint Glass Works Company. The South Boston company made a variety of glass in the
1850's, much of it for the pharmaceutical industry. I wonder, because of it altered neck,
if it is an end of day whimsey piece. The piece is unstable as a bottle as the base is
too small. Has anyone ever seen anything like it , and does it have value?
Thanks in advance for any info.

Vs55517.jpg

Picture reduced in size - please see Help - Using the Forum ---> Uploading a Picture - Admin

Attachments

• Vs55517.jpg
    Vs55517.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 77

brianwi

Reaction score
Welcome to the forums babypeter!

I was just wondering if we could get a closeup on the Lettering near the bottom? This would help greatly!

David E

Reaction score
Hi BP, I will look further but do not find your glass company listed in several good books. However if you are sure it is flint glass it was probally made between 1825 to the Mid-1860's was produced with lead oxide, which made it heavy, glass and gives off a lovely metallic ring when gently taped t The top of this item would made me think it was a vase, if it will not sit, then perhaps it came with a metal holder.
Vary nice piece.
Dave

KentOhio

Reaction score
Flint glass has to be clear. I don't know what the letters stand for, but it must be something else. I think you have a vase from the 1950's or so.

David E

Reaction score
Pressed (pattern) glass, except for tooled top, don't know but various shades of blue could be obtained by adding oxides, cobalt or copper. Made one at a time in hand operated presses. I guess, the same as you "end of day" maybe it was meant to be a decanter but he wanted a vase. Bubbles in glass don't look to be controled, so my guess would be older rather than newer and does not look Mexico to me.
Dave

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amandaward