amethyst jar & 2 marbles

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Trying not to break it

Reaction score
hi everyone, my husband found this sunday. it is 5 1/4" tall, 2 1/4" across base. the seam fades at shoulder then starts again about 1/4" over and goes to the top. the glass is thick. only thing on bottom is the # 19. any information as to age would be appreciated. does the fact that it has change colors give it value? thanks for looking, rhona

Zx70420.jpg

Attachments

• Zx70420.jpg
    Zx70420.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 69

madman

Reaction score
hey rohna, looks like you found some early machine made bottles 1900s ive found acouple jars like the one pictured. id look some more in that area good luck mike

BottleArchaeologist

Reaction score
Looks to me to be an olive jar. Might be capers but to me it looks to big for those little things.

As to date? Post 1905 but pre 1924. Around 1918 the US stopped importing Manganese (used as a glass de-colorizer) and most if not all supplies were gone by 1924.

Manganese when exposed to sunlight (UVrays) will turn the glass purple. The darker the color the more mangnese is in the glass. For a while people went nuts for anything purple but that trend has waned. I would say that bottle is worth a $1.00 or $2.00 at the most. Still I love purple bottles

BA

madman

Reaction score
hey ba great info !! keep on diggin mike

capsoda

Reaction score
Hey Rhona, I've been looking through some boxes of product jars. I think I have one like that with a different top. It had a round glass insert in the top for a lid. Kind of like a fruit jar insert.The lid in the pic came off the same kind of jar but it was cracked. It held potted meat {sandwitch spread}.I find a lot of Product jars in all kind of shapes and sized.

Yours could have been from an earlyer mold that was modified to add threads.[8|]

It could have had a lot of different items in it. Caper, olives, onions, gerkins or even potted meat.[:)]

You gota love sca.[:)]

Trying not to break it

Reaction score
hi mike, ba and warren, thanks for looking and the information. i havn't found but a couple of amethyst bottles so far. so i'm pleased with this one. i keep hopeing that some of my clear ones will turn. i think the amethyst is nice. thanks again, rhona

Tandy

Reaction score
Hello Rhona, and greetings from South Australia.

I read with a great deal of interest of your find of what I call a "sun violet" jar, and I must agree with you, these jars/bottles are nice. Some, especially well embossed ones that have turned a darker shade of violet are very nice indeed.

You mentioned that you were "hoping that some of my clear ones will turn." To test this possibility, put them on a flat shed roof during summer, and check trhem roughly every month. I think some will turn for you.

Do you have Mason jars where you are? I think that they would be good candidates for putting on the shed roof, especially if clear. I don't think that aqua ones will change colour.

Cheers,

Tandy

Fd91155.jpg

Attachments

• Fd91155.jpg
    Fd91155.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 68

Trying not to break it

Reaction score
hi tandy, thanks for looking and the information. i have about 3 1/2 months before i can set anything outside. does any one know if they will turn in a window? you have some really pretty colors on your jars. thanks for posting pics. from an earlier comment about collectors loosing interest in this color may because there are fake colored ones for sale? thanks again, rhona

BottleArchaeologist

Reaction score
Rhona,

Those jars will most certainly turn purple in the window. Needs to get a lot of sun but will happen. Remember though that it's the amount of Manganese that determines how dark they will get not how much sun.

I seem to recall the purple trend fading long before the fakes.

BA

Tandy

Reaction score
Hi Rhona,
Yes, I forgot it is winter over there. As BottleArchaeologist correctly states, bottles or jars made with Manganese Dioxide will turn violet on a window ledge. It may take a while, yes, but it will happen.

To the subject of "fake" sun violet bottles & jars. It is possible to "greatly speed up" the process of turning violet by a process called "Zapping" or irradiation. They tend to be much darker, so if you see one almost black, be wary.

Cheers from Oz!

Tandy

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MotherMayhem