amethyst jar & 2 marbles

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

hunter58

Reaction score
hello to all, being new to bottlemania I have been researching a little and have found out about manganese turning amethyst and selenium turning straw but what makes glass turn smoke gray? I have a couple of "shoofly" flasks that are smoke and several three piece whiskeys that color and have yet to find what additive causes this.

BottleArchaeologist

Reaction score
Hunter,

Adding Zaffer, Magnesia, Copper and Iron in various combonations and or amounts will result in a bottle that goes from smoke grey to black. Again it is all up to the combo and amount.

BA

hunter58

Reaction score
thank you B A and Warren does sun light darken this coloration ? I have a soda bottle from around 1905 to 1912 that is a real dark smoke it was made by a Frank Dalle &Co in Tellurid Colo. its kind of crude ,bubbles, a crooked rough seam where the top was put on and of course the misprint of Telluride and the bottom goes from thick to almost nothing it would look really nice if it would get darker

BottleArchaeologist

Reaction score
Hunter,

I don't think the Sun will have an effect on the color. However you could try it and see. Put it in a nice window that gets full sun for 3 months or so......see if it works.

BA

hunter58

Reaction score
hello , here is a picture that shows the gray bottle and some of the other colors we have found it isnt perfect but it is the only Frank Dalle bottle known in my small circle of bottle nuts one of whom has been collecting Telluride bottles for over 50 years I tried to get close ups of the neck because the top and the body are not the same color but my photography skills are seriously lacking thanks for looking

Rp44934.jpg

Attachments

• Rp44934.jpg
    Rp44934.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 69

Ye Olde Prospector

Reaction score
Hi Rhona,

Here's one of the nicest natural amethyst sodas I have found. It was lying on top of ground behind a stonewall. Such a pretty color I just had to take it home.

Cliff

Nl30225.jpg

Ye Olde Prospector

Reaction score
Now the rest of the story. Unfortunately some kids must have found it first a decided it would make a nice pellet gun target[:mad:] It was lying on top of the leaves so must have been shot recently. Kids with nothing better to do I guess. Frustrating !

Qo40443.jpg

Attachments

• Qo40443.jpg
    Qo40443.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 76

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kennyg1960