An interesting article written by an archeologist about the historical value of digging privys

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

solitarycanary

Reaction score
Lots of info about artifacts, how they managed privys, soil layers, etc. very helpful info.

westKYdigger

Reaction score
Very interesting, but also indicates his attitude toward diggers. Page 146, 1st column.At another privy within the same block, as many as 55
bottles of Rick’s Capudine were recovered from the
backdirt of bottle collectors who had looted the feature
prior to our arrival.I wonder where all the bottles they dug during their research ended up.

solitarycanary

Reaction score
I find it ironic that they hate diggers yet thanks for making your research public for us!!

I'm actually getting a grant to go back to school to be an archeologist. I know they have reasons for excavating things the way they do, but honestly I personally believe history belongs to all people, and I fully plan on embracing amateur archeologists when I get my degree.

solitarycanary

Reaction score
I figure any information is good. The more you know the better decisions you make about where to look!

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
westKYdigger said:
Very interesting, but also indicates his attitude toward diggers. Page 146, 1st column.At another privy within the same block, as many as 55
bottles of Rick’s Capudine were recovered from the
backdirt of bottle collectors who had looted the feature
prior to our arrival.I wonder where all the bottles they dug during their research ended up.
If they were "Rick's Capudine" they would have probably taken them. [:D] I suspect just Hick's though, so much for fact checking.

epgorge

Reaction score
Certainly is much conjecture in this man's writings, particularly regarding Dustin, supposed policeman. Perhaps he was impersonating one and he discarded items there to dispose of any evidence. Interesting to see we are looters but they are not.Joel

solitarycanary

Reaction score
Archeologists: I'm reminded of the opening scene in Indiana Jones Last Crusade where he's fighting the guy and recovers the artifact stating

"This belongs in a museum"

Not every little thing belongs in a museum. Many things can be learned from excavating historical sites. But sadly, those artifacts get catalogued and stuck in the basement of a museum. Where no one enjoys them.

And the endless conjecture about the artifacts recovered. Any of us can speculate why the man threw the uniform away. No one will ever know. Maybe he murdered the police officer? Whatever he did, he wanted it to remain a secret. And that's what it will be.

Macaco

Reaction score
Mr. Genheimer is deranged. People dig a hole. They relieve themselves into the hole. They throw their trash in the hole. When the hole is full of human waste and garbage they cover it with dirt and dig another hole. They place the actual structure on top of the new hole and repeat. I find one of those holes a hundred years later, dig out the trash so I can take it home with me and I'm some species of villain for doing that? A looter? That is lunacy.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
baumbers