Ancient Digs! + In Situs!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

lexdigger

Reaction score
RE: Ancient Digs!

Thanks Mike! You know me... I'm always gonna turn something up, be it bottles or artifacts! Hell, if you remember thats how I got into bottles. Found a bunch of em on an arrowhead hunt one day!

Hey ancientdigger, I'd love to see some of your finds... especially the big spearpoint! At that size it could be a GOOD one depending on the type!!!

deacon, we all gotta start somewhere! I remember the first point I found and still have it to this day. It's nothing special, but I will always cherish it. I've been searching for the better part of 20 years. It's as addictive as bottle digging!!!

Hey Laur, I'm not sure if there were any "tribes" from this area? I've always been told that Kentucky was a common hunting ground and that many tribes from many areas would travel here to hunt for large game. We define our artifacts more by time period than tribes. Some (paleolithic) date back over ten thousand years!!! And yeah, ancientdigger is right. The more you search the easier it gets to spot them out. Alot of it also has to do with lighting, soil conditions, and most importantly... no FOOTPRINTS!!! LOL

RedGinger

Reaction score

Yeah, when we went it hadn't rained in a long time and the field hadn't been disked yet.

cobaltbot

Reaction score

I know this matters in hunting bottles in the woods or insulators in a creek but wonder if the same thing sometimes applies sometimes in hunting stone? Walking towards the sun makes a big difference sometimes. Recently I hunted a small 3-4 foot wide creek for insulators and after going first with the sun behind me, turned around and noticed so many more I hadn't noticed going the other way.

ancientdigger69

Reaction score

i dont know if it has anything to do with the sun but i always find something i missed on my walk back.

lex, i'll post some pics tomorrow of some of my finds.

oh and footprints are a bad sign in a field. [:mad:]

red, its tough to see things in a dry field. right after a rain is the best time

Jim

Reaction score

Nice points, Chris. Two things that I often think about getting into are arrowhead hunting and metal detecting. My area has a lot of Native American history, and I know a few people who have found a lot of great artifacts around here.

My problem is that I'm just too stinking addicted to bottles, and I have never gotten around to trying "head hunting" yet. Some day, I'm still going to. ~Jim

lexdigger

Reaction score

Yeah, when walking a field or construction site I always like to go after a good rain. It washes everything off and lets you see all of the colors alot better. It also just helps to wash em out of the dirt clods and knock the dust off everything! I prefer low lighting or an overcast in these conditions. The sun can sometimes blind you when you're surface hunting.
In a creek or on river and lake banks you want to go after the water levels drop. Flash floods can wash out all types of stuff! When I'm searching for arrowheads I'm also looking for Many other things. Fossils, marbles, coins, musket balls, glass, and any other treasures! Alot of artifacts are hard to notice, especially if you've never seen one before. It's not just arrowheads... there are axes, celts, pendants, bannerstones, scrapers, hammerstones, drills, awls and all types of other ancient tools!
It takes a while to train your eyes to look for the different types of stones that were used by the natives. Slate, granite, galena, flint, hematite, and bone are just some of the materials they used. When you get used to spotting these out in the dirt, your finds will increase ten fold! It also helps to get to know all the varieties of flint and chert in your area. Alot of times when I see a certain material I will JUMP because I know it's almost Always an artifact!
I will warn anyone that's interested in getting into arrowhead hunting... it IS addictive as hell!!! Once you find a good one, you can't stop searching! You will find yourself pulling over on the side of the road to check out that rock that caught your eye. You will even Dream of finding them! But, I've done that with bottle hunting as well!!! LOL
Also be leary of Buying anything at first. After a while you will be able to spot the good the bad and the ugly. It can be difficult and require a microscope to spot out the acceptional fakes. There are big bucks in authentic ancient artifacts and whenever money is involved greed is sure to follow!!! Many friendships, relationships, and even marriages have been destroyed by greed and addiction!!! Be Carefull and Be Aware that it isn't something to jump into lightly!!! A good rule to follow for someone just starting out is to only collect what you Find and study those pieces well.
Sorry for the long winded response! Wish I had some recent bottle digs to share, but I'm just as passionate about these old rocks! :)

lexdigger

Reaction score

I always try to take my camera, when weather permits! I try to document my finds and record as many details as possible... including a "in situation" photograph.
Lets go for a walk and see what's laying out there...
Tobacco Field
insitueight.jpg

Corn Field
insitueighteen.jpg

Tobacco Field
insitueleven.jpg

Corn Field
insitufifteen.jpg

Tobacco Field
insitufive.jpg

Tobacco Field
insitufour.jpg

Tobacco Field
insitufourt.jpg

Tobacco Field
insitufourty.jpg

Tobacco Field
insitufourtyone.jpg

Construction Site
insitunine.jpg

Tobacco Field
insitunineteen.jpg

Tobacco Field
insituone-1.jpg

Tobacco Field
insituseven.jpg

Corn Field
insituseventeen.jpg

Construction Site
insitusix.jpg

Corn Field
insitusixteen.jpg

River Banks
insituthirt.jpg

Corn Field
insituthirtyeight.jpg

Tobacco Field
insituthirtyfive.jpg

Corn Field
insituthirtyfour.jpg

Corn Field
insituthirtynine.jpg

Corn Field
insituthirtyseven.jpg

Bottle Digging Site... Downtown Lexington!!!
insituthirtysix.jpg

Tobacco Field
insituthirtythree.jpg

Tobacco Field
insituthirtytwo.jpg

Tobacco Field
insitutwelve.jpg

Corn Field
insitutwenty.jpg

Construction Site
insitutwentyfive.jpg

Construction Site
insitutwentyfour.jpg

Tobacco Field
insitutwentyone.jpg

Construction Site
insitutwentyseven.jpg

Construction Site
insitutwentysix.jpg

Corn Field
insitutwentythree.jpg

Corn Field
insitutwentytwo.jpg

Tobacco Field
insitutwo-1.jpg

Lordbud

Reaction score

Saved the best for last: is that a Seated Liberty dime?
I've got a handful of Seated Liberty dimes and half-dimes I've picked up here and there over the years but I've never found
one on/in the ground, although I've found a couple of "Winged Liberty Head" dimes in the dirt...great stuff.
I've found all of two Native American artifacts the past twenty years here in Santa Clara and Santa Cruz counties.

lexdigger

Reaction score

No problem Tom!
Yeah Jason, that's an 1858 seated liberty Half dime. I've found alot of coins surface hunting for artifacts. The BEST was a Gold dollar with an indian princess head on it!!!

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lichen