Ancient Digs! + In Situs!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

ancientdigger69

Reaction score
RE: Ancient Digs!

K, searched through all my photo's in the computer and found some of my artifact collection. This doesnt include the box of shards, jars of flakes, of many of my other various finds but a nice selection nonetheless. And yes, im addicted to these things too!! I think i was meant to play in the dirt all my life.

This first pic is the pride and joy of my collection. My probe went through it and shattered it but its all back together minus where the probe went through.
claypot013.jpg

claypot014.jpg

claypot015.jpg

Next is some of my older east coast finds including 2 game balls i found in Jersey hanging out with Digger George a few years back. Those little buggers were just a few feet from each other too. almost like they lay where they were dropped. I bout shat myself when i found them. Theyre my second favorite.
claypot012.jpg

claypot011.jpg

claypot009.jpg

claypot004.jpg

claypot005.jpg

claypot006.jpg

claypot007.jpg

claypot008.jpg

And some of the midwest stuff. The largest point in the bottom picture is the 4 1/4" spear point. I believe this is a Sedalia which is mid to late Archaic about 3 to 5 thousand years old. A majority of this type of point comes from Missouri and not as common here in Illinois.
points001.jpg

points002.jpg

lexdigger

Reaction score

Nice Finds! Anyone would be proud to find a pot, even broken and glued back! We dig and find alot of shards, but I've never unearthed a complete piece of pottery... but haven't given up! Looks like a nice Sedalia in the bottom center! Don't find em that big very often!!! Thanks for sharing!

reptilekeeper

Reaction score

Holy cow Lex, your in-situ shots have made my heart skip a few beats! Nice stuff you must have an amazing collection. Here in New England it is getting harder and harder to find points. The laws are tough and its hard to get permission to hunt private land. We also do not have the nice lithics that you have in KY. To find a point made out of a fancy material like flint here in Rhode Island is reason to celebrate. I tried to download some photos of my collection of 30 years but all the files are to large so it tells me. Plenty of quartz, felsite, and green shale (argilite). The small coves around the bay here produce points from time to time.

I would love to walk a few of those fiels with you some day, if you are ever up north I would be happy to show you my stomping grounds.

Dugout

Reaction score

What nice artifacts you guys!! Most everything around here is broken, but I keep looking and dragging it home anyway. I'm glad to see the little ones out with you. That's precious time spent and where the education starts.

lexdigger

Reaction score

Well that's what I posted em for! I LOVE to take those in situ pics. It's nice to go back and look at em and be able to share them with others. I have been very lucky to have found some nice relics over the years. I'm so fourtuate to live in the area I do!!! I have thousands of brokens and field grades, but here's some of my favorite finds together in a frame. There is a Clovis, a Dovetail, Grooved Axes and many other nice artifacts. The big Bi Point blade is right at four inches. I found the big Hopewell celt (bottom center) on a bottle digging site!
arrowheadsone-1.jpg

stephengray

Reaction score

Here is the last one done on my scanner. 2 1/2 inches long, heavily beveled, nice chipping

3CE4D79520A4424D954C7272D5B17EF2.jpg

Attachments

• 3CE4D79520A4424D954C7272D5B17EF2.jpg
    3CE4D79520A4424D954C7272D5B17EF2.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 66

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members