Another 7up Thread ... But Different

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Back to bottle caps and more possible clues ...

I'm honestly not sure which of these two bottle caps was 7up's first, but I believe its the one with Seven Up spelled out. This is the only example of it I'm aware of but have seen lots of the other cap, which is one of the reasons I consider the Seven Up example to be the first. Notice the second picture is the same cap that's illustrated in the 1931 ad that I posted earlier.

7up's First Cap?

7up Bottle Cap Possible First.jpg

7up's Second Cap?

7up Bottle Cap Lithiated Lemon Soda.png

7up Ad The Salt Lake Tribune June 4, 1931 (3).jpg

Last edited:

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
And lets not forget the 7up paper label trademark that was registered in 1931

Note: So far, 1931 seems to be a key date!

7up 1931 Trademark.jpg

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
iggy

Are you familiar with this one? Its the only one I'm aware of that comes the closest to the one you just posted.

As far as I know there are very few 7up bottles that have "Alkaline Reaction" on them. But what's weird is the seller says its a 1937, and yet his description of the base embossing obviously indicates its a 1936 Owens-Illinois bottle. It apparently has Los Angeles on the base but definitely Fresno, California on the back ...

http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/1937-5oz-bottle-eight-bubble-alkaline-243446776

7UP Green 6 1/2 oz.(EMPTY) Bottle. With Eight Bubbles (1937) and Bubble Girl.
Very Rare due to the scarcity of the reverse wording and 6.5oz instead of 7oz..

It would be VERY difficult to find another. Some books I have researched have stated that the wording used on this model may have been used in test markets only and the response to "Alkaline Reaction" didn't go over well with customers, so they changed the wording before sending the bottles into nationwide markets.

Description: 8" Tall X 2.25 Base

Front; in ACL 7up Reg. U.S. Pat. Off. With girl in swim suit, On the neck is Embossed u7p (not 7up).

Reverse: A COOLER OFF, A FRESHER UP, ALKALINE REACTION, SETTLES THE STOMACH._SEVEN UP BOTTLING CO. FRESNO,CALIF.

On the neck another u7p.

Bottom: Embossed Around the Edge, SEVEN UP BOTTLING CO. LOS ANGELES, Middle is 7 UP 24 <(O)> 6

CONDITION: Has Chip on the HEEL **SEE PICTURES Zoom In**! The Bottle is in SUPER Condition other than the Chip!

7up Bottle Alkaline Reaction eBay 2012 Front.jpg

7up Bottle Alkaline Reaction eBay 2012 Back.jpg

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
iggy

Another Question:

Other than ...

Owens-Illinois
Reed Glass
Glenshaw Glass

... are you aware of any other glass makers that produced Pre-1938 7up bottles?

iggyworf

Reaction score
Bob, as to post #14, I think I have at least seen that one once or twice before. So that one must be another tough one to find. I have never seen the one I posted a link to until the other day when I saw it on Ebay.

I will double check all my bottle date codes. It might take another day, because all bottles are packed in crates right now.(remodeling basement)but I am only aware of those 3 makers as of now. I will try to do some searching also. I am back to work full time now so a lot less time at the computer.

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
iggy

Thanks / No Hurry

Of the dozens of paper label 7up bottles I have looked at today (on eBay and elsewhere), this is the only one that sparked my interest. I especially like it because ...

1. Its generic
2. No neck embossing
3. "Lithiated" on label
4. Early cap

Unfortunately, the seller did not include a picture of the base and simply describes it as "1930s" So I sent him an inquiry and asked about the base markings. Hopefully I will hear back from him soon. Of course I have no idea if the bottle, label, and cap are all original to one another, but it has enough of the right ingredients to consider it as a possible contender for a pre 1933-34 bottle. I'll let you know what the seller has to say just as soon as I hear back from him.

Check it out ...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-Paper-...219188?hash=item58d906bbb4:g:XgEAAOSwgApXCum-

7up Bottle eBay April 2016 Front.jpg

7up Bottle eBay April 2016 Label.jpg

7up Bottle eBay April 2016 Cap (2).jpg

iggyworf

Reaction score
Good deal Bob, I looked at that one also. I also seen one as a total fake. It was a PL Listed as a 1935 bottle. The label did state 1935 but the green bottle was a 'blob' top bottle. The person was asking astronomical price for it.

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
The seller just sent me this picture of the base and says its the number 3

I forgot to ask him earlier, so I sent a reply to see if there are any other marks on the bottle, such as on the heel.

The number 3 doesn't tell us much but its highly unlikely that it stands for 1933. Hopefully there is a makers mark on it somewhere.

7up Bottle eBay April 2016 Base with 3.jpg

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
I heard from the seller again and he said the number 3 is the only thing embossed on the bottle and that there is nothing on the heel or elsewhere. Well, all I can say is that it definitely qualifies in the 'generic' department that Bill Lockhart referred to in his article. But other than that, I'm really not sure what to make of it. Although, the seller did say the cap came with the bottle, so that's kinda good news! I might bid on it just for the heck of it! I'll let you know if I do, and especially if I win it.

The search continues for more candidates!

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
angieb1229