Another 7up Thread ... But Different

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
For consideration in connection with the mystery paper label bottle. Seller states this bottle is dated 1938, but no picture of the base ...

(However, because it has u7p embossed on the neck, it should date between 1935 and 1938)

Taylor - Tarboro, North Carolina

http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/7up-soda-bottle-tarboro-c-green-534956793

7up Bottle Taylor Tabor N.C. Front.jpg

Last edited:

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Regarding the so called 1931 7up fan ...

What appears to be the same fan is currently on eBay and priced at $98.00 ...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Stunning-Vi...istributors-/251948581537?hash=item3aa94e42a1

Its missing the stick and the seller doesn't mention a date, but it appears to be identical to the one from Ruby Lane that I posted a link to earlier.

As far as the Louis F. Dow Company date codes are concerned, I couldn't find anything specific to them, but I did discover other items made by the company, such as various blotters that had the following codes ...

B 411 27
B 411 30
B 411 31

As near as I can determine, the 'B' stands for 'Blotter' and the 'F' on the 7up fan stands for 'Fan.' But whether the 27, 30, and 31 on the blotters are dates, I cannot say for certain.

The code on the 7up fan is ... F-31-1 (Which the Ruby Lane seller said was for 1931)

I found another Louis F. Dow fan (That, like the one on eBay, was missing the stick handle) with a F-34-5 code on it, but whether the 34 stands for 1934, I can't say for certain.

Even though unconfirmed, there appears to be some consistency in the codes, which leads me to suspect the two digit numbers could very well be dates. If so, then its possible the 7up fan in question could very well have been made in 1931. But even if that's the case, the question still remains ...

Which came first - The 1931 7up fan or the 1931 7up 'Slenderizing Lady' trademark?

My guess is the 7up trademark came first and the 7up fan came later in connection with the trademark. ???

Anyhoo, here are the pictures from eBay ...

7up Fan eBay 2016 $98 Front.jpg

Notice the label on the bottle. I've seen lots of illustrations of the label, but never an actual example on an actual bottle. I wonder if it was ever actually used?

7up Fan eBay 2016 $98 Back.jpg

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Back to the mystery 7up paper label bottle ...

I have conducted a fairly extensive search for anything and everything related to 7up that has the 'up' underlined, and the only thing I have found so far is the 'winged' 7up logo that is said to have been trademarked in 1929. Of course this doesn't necessarily date the mystery bottle itself, but I do consider it a significant clue in that anything underlined in that manner could very well be an early-early item.

7up Bottle eBay April 2016 Label (2).jpg

7up Wings 1929.jpg

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Oops!

I forgot this 1931 ad also has the 7up underlined! Hmmm, are we starting to see a trend of some type? Maybe!

7up 1931 The Burlington Hawk-Eye Iowa Dec 25, 1931 (466x750) (2).jpg

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Okay, here's the deal!

Perhaps I shouldn't even mention this, but I'm going to anyway. As it stands now, I'm about 99% convinced the mystery 7up bottle on eBay is pre 1933 and that the label itself is quite possibly one of if not the first 7up paper labels ever used. I could be wrong about this, but because its the only one like it I can find or have ever seen a picture of, I'm fully prepared to bid in earnest on it even if it means bidding as high as $100++. Its also possible its the only known example of that particular type of label. There's still some time for me to contemplate this, so if anyone can provide us with a picture of an identical label, please do so as it might at least tell us something about the label itself and possibly even accurately date it. Thanks!

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
P.S.

If I haven't emphasized it enough already, I'd like to reiterate that the specific paper label I'm looking for is one that has the 'up' in '7up' underlined

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
I also forgot these 7up decals that have been the subject of controversy in the past. Even though they are reproductions that apparently came out in the 1970s, compare the wording on it and the wording on the eBay bottle. Also notice the 7up is underlined ...

7up Decal 1931 Repro.jpg

7up Bottle eBay April 2016 Label (2).jpg

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
By the way ...

My confidence rating of 99% for the eBay paper label as being pre 1933 just went up to 99.9%

Jbeas31

Reaction score
Bob, I believe you've stumbled on a very unique bottle. Much like I did with the orange swimsuit bottle. I believe you are correct that not many people, if any others, will bid on your discovery because of it's condition. I will be interested to see if the label can be dated with the bottle itself.

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Jbeas31

First of all, thanks for the comments - I hope I win it too so I can put it through my 'research grinder' and see what comes out on the other side. (Lol)

Plus, I'm glad you stopped by because I have been wanting to share the following with you, which I was going to eventually post on your orange swimsuit thread.

This is cropped from the 5th of the 6 images of the Bill Lockhart article I posted earlier on this thread. Notice what it says about the 'other' swimsuit girl. I'm not sure I agree with the 'springing into a dive' part, but I suppose its possible. Check out what the snippet says and then compare the various labels and see what you think ...

Snippet

7up Article Fizz (11).jpg

Reaching

7up ACL LABEL (2).jpg

Reaching or Diving?

7up Downey Joyce Bottle White Swimsuit Norwalk  and Columbus Ohio 8 Bubble Date Unknown 2.jpg

Reaching or Diving?

7up Bottle Robust Swimsuit Orange 8 Bubble.jpg

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ROC.NYbottles