Another 7up Thread ... But Different

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
I just received this final message from the seller ...

Hello Bob,

Thanks for the info...I have collected quite a bit of Coca-Cola and 7up bottles and typically know where to find dates and numbers...was thrown for a loop on this one and dated It from the label and cap. It's always nice to find someone knowledgeable about the bottles in case I missed something.

Thank you for the information.

Mike

The only thing I can think to add about the 'label' is that it has REG. U.S. PAT. OFF. on it, which should date it no earlier than 1931 because that's when the paper label Trademark was first registered. I also like the fact that it has a line under the word 'up' ... I just wish I knew more about the bottle itself.

7up Bottle eBay April 2016 Label Cropped.jpg

Last edited:

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
P.S.

I'm the impulsive type and have decided that I'm definitely going to bid on the paper label bottle. I took a quick look around and cannot find a picture of another paper label that has the 7up underlined. I'm thinking that's got to be an early label. If I win it, I'll try and figure out the rest of it later. And if someone outbids me, oh well. I have been shot down before and have learned to just roll with the punches.

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Buckle up, 'cause we're going for a wild ride!

Note: I fully acknowledge that a lot of what follows is based on pure speculation and guesswork. However, even with that said, its possible that enough pieces of the puzzle are fitting together to warrant a closer look.

I'm almost glad the paper label on the eBay bottle is in poor condition. If it were in better shape it might lessen my chances of winning it. Most collectors don't like items in ratty condition. But, as I said earlier, this is primarily about the bottle itself and not the label or cap. The label and cap are merely clues to the bottle's possible age and origin.

Now for the tricky part!

Notice the larger words on the lower part of the label. Is it possible those words are ...

TAYLOR BOTTLING

I'm not sure either, but I hope to find out! If the words are TAYLOR BOTTLING, then I consider that good news because it increases the chances of the bottle being extremely early. As you will discover in the following information, E. L. Taylor is acknowledged as the first 7up bottler. But I guess the only way I will ever know with any measure of certainty what's on the label is to win the bottle first and then examine it close up and see what I can see - plus do a continued search for a similar paper label, which I have been doing but haven't found one yet.

Regarding 7up's first bottler, E. L. Taylor / Edward L. Taylor / Ed Taylor ...

Forum thread from 2012.

https://www.antique-bottles.net/forum...9-m572381.aspx

On the following link, scroll to the paragraph starting with "During the Great Depression, ..."

http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/o...articles/disyk

"During the Great Depression, Seven-Up and Pepsi-Cola sought markets in Texas, mainly under the promotion of Jodie W. McCarley of San Antonio. While shagging baseballs for the Cleveland Indians in St. Louis, McCarley met Pearl Whitcraft and Ed Taylor, who owned soda-water plants in the city. In 1929 Taylor offered McCarley a chance to get in the bottling business by assuming a debt owed a St. Louis flavor manufacturer. McCarley set up a small bottling plant in his home in San Antonio with second-hand machinery, and peddled his drinks each morning. In addition to generic flavors, he sold Knight Club Ginger Ale, mostly to bootleggers. Ed Taylor also put McCarley in touch with C. L. Griggs, owner of the Howdy Company, which offered franchises on Howdy Orange. In 1928 Griggs had copyrighted Seven-Up, a lithiated lemon drink promoted as a mixer. In January 1930 McCarley, the second bottler in the nation to receive a Seven-Up franchise (Taylor was the first), was given an opportunity to sell Seven-Up in seventy-eight Texas counties. Business was slow: he signed up only one bottler, Ed Knebel, who had moved his small plant from Pflugerville to Austin in 1930."

On the following link, scroll to Section 8 Page 6, (Indicated at the top-left of the page) where you will find ...

"In 1928, the Howdy Bottling Company headed by Edward L. Taylor, who was Charles L. Grigg's first "Developer." [Bottler]

http://www.dnr.mo.gov/shpo/nps-nr/04000089.pdf

???

7up Bottle eBay April 2016 Label.jpg

The ST. Louis Dispatch July 30, 1975

7up Taylor St Louis Dispatch July 30, 1975.jpg

The picture in the newspaper article and the one on the commemorative cap appear to be identical

7up Bottle Cap E. L. Taylor First Bottler (1).jpg

Commemorative E. L. Taylor bottle

7up Bottle Commorative 1928-1978 - 50 Years.jpg

7up Bottle Commorative - Back.jpg

Regarding most of the above

Question Mark (3).jpg

Last edited:

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
P.S.

I agree the letter following the 'T' looks like a 'Y' but who can say for certain at this juncture?

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Regarding the 7up fan ...

Please be reminded the 7up paper label with the "Slenderizing" lady was trademarked in 1931. So if the fan is indeed from 1931, then it might be directly related to the trademarked paper label. Which causes me to wonder which came first, the trademarked paper label or the fan that illustrates a lady in a swimsuit?

If anyone can figure out how to save an enlarged picture of the fan (both sides) please do so and share it with us. Thanks!

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
P.S.

I did a little experiment and discovered I can print, scan, and save a picture of the fan. However, I need to replace my color ink first, which I will do later today and then post it when I'm done.

iggyworf

Reaction score
Good work Bob. I checked all my bottles and my earliest is 1936 if I read it right. I do have a 7 oz with no PL and no signs of ACL with 7up embossed on only one side of the neck from the 7up co of Holland Mi. Reed Glass co mark with a very faint 'L 1' on the bottom. But don't have time right now to research that company. No other marks on the bottle. I don't think it is what we seek but we have to check all possibilities. I will get pics if you think you should see it.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
louieb583