Another interesting find.....

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

BottleArchaeologist

Reaction score
I assume by the shape that this was either a soda and or a mineral water. Well heck.....some kind of beverage. :eek:)

It is a turn mold (no seams) and has the characteristic swirl marks around the body. On the neck is a stress twist that is left handed in nature. has a tooled lip.

Can someone give me some info on this bottle? What was it? Worth? I would assume these were pretty common?

TIA
Scott

Hf98876.jpg

Attachments

• Hf98876.jpg
    Hf98876.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 60

GuntherHess

Reaction score
I believe it was wine, sangria?? maybe. It hung in a woven cover. Was big in the 60s, any old hippies out there want to correct me?

BottleArchaeologist

Reaction score
Well then it is an old one. I dug this out of a city dump (Pasadena) that dated from 1880's to when it closed in 1910.

Probably only worth a buck or 2.

Thanks for your inputs.

Scott :eek:)

KentOhio

Reaction score
They're right, it's a wine bottle. Not very many are handblown, though. I don't remember seeing any that were.

WhiteLighting

Reaction score
I have a early type "pre-1850 dug from a hotel up here in upstate NY",the lip and neck on your bottle posted here are later make and more non -crude,and also its a VERY LARGE type,I think there called "calabash" type flasks,not sure though./....

it a really cool bottle though--

edit - forgot to post - can ya get a close-up pic of the lip aswell as the neck in the light to see if there are straight lines "not seam lines from a mold" but for another reason,....
also how thin is the glass around the bottom,"Hard to measure i know,but take a guess" is it paper thin?,or is it almost asthick as a CD? - this will help alot!!!!

Value- Hmmmm-- depends onthe collector-time of year-and supply and demand,...I seen only 2 other types and the one posted here is the largest Ive seen of these types,....
if not a repro made in the 60s/early 70s - to a collector of Flasks - 20 to 30,but if the color is right and the glass is really thin and very crude with lots of bubbles Id say $50 to $100 depending on size,...yours Im not sure...lol,.....but hope I helped...
So it might be just where im located/uncommon to run into these just like what I said about the old Dutch/English Mallets/Onion type of glass....almost 15yrs bottle huntin collectin between me and my mother and only 1 found,.......

Old Diggens

Reaction score
I have one that looks very similar to yours that I dug out of a dump created to dispose of rubbish from the earthquake in San Francisco in 1906. The lip on the one I have is a little crude as compared to yours. Much the same bubbles on both. Also, the one I have has an amethyst tone to it.

Best regards

Old Diggens

Bottleman

Reaction score
Nice bottle, I also dug a mold blown one out of a 1890s privy too. I checked e-bay and they bring about $5 or less.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carpenter