another noob in need

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

halibutski

Reaction score
First post here, so I'll start by saying y'all have a great forum, and thanks in advance for all help. I'm a dealer specializing in glass, but with little knowledge of bottles. I came across this piece some time ago at an estate sale. The neck is just a little crooked, the whole bottle is slightly out of round, and the shoulder droops a bit to one side (sounds like me actually). The pontil is a big messy affair and it shows white where there was an attempt to smooth it at some point in history. Also, the pontil is further off center than one I normally see on art glass or older production studio pieces. The glass, while slick and glossy, is translucent and it is a true red color. I apologize for the weak pics. I'll try to get it better if it will help. What do I have here???

P3280390.jpg

P3280389.jpg

P3280388.jpg

P3280387.jpg

halibutski

Reaction score
Just realized I left out dimensions. It is about 9 1/2" tall and 4 1/4" diameter.

carobran

Reaction score
I'm thinking its not as old as you think it is.I couldn't guess an age but I definitely don't think mid 1800s,as I've never seen an antique bottle in that shade before.But I'm no expert in pontiled glass.Could you take a pic in a sunny window sill? ...I hope I don't end up looking like an idiot if I'm completely off base.

carobran

Reaction score
Very strange,neat looking though.Could it be some kind of glass blowers school practice piece maybe?

BellwoodBoys

Reaction score
This bottle is what I think to be a department store bottle. it has a great color and form though.

halibutski

Reaction score
The bottle has absolutely no makers marks, but there are some tooling marks on the surface. There appears to be some twist to the glass inside the neck. The bottom is unevenly rounded and shows marks from having been set on wood while still hot. This is a primitive looking bottle, which leads me to believe it is older. The sun was not cooperating so I used an artificial light source in one pic, shot indirectly so as to not get the brightness of the light.

Now I don't know much about bottles, but nothing about this says department store to me. Again, I apologize for the photo quality, and thanks for everyone's help.

P3280392.jpg

P3280391.jpg

P3280393.jpg

bobble

Reaction score
Good evening all,and welcome to the forum Hal.I'll give a humble opinion and say that bottle washed up on a sandy beach a while ago,and sat on someones' windowsill.The frosted finish reminds me of glass I'd find walking beaches.Dispensary bottle off an old cutter?I don't know squat about bottles,but at the very least,someone made a nice piece.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tasha85