Another PATERSON stoneware jug...

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

epackage

Reaction score
Saw this jug at a online antique auction site, it was down in South Jersey about 120 miles from me, I contacted the sellers and we negotiated down to a bottom line price they were willing to take. After figuring in travel costs and my time I wasn't sure it was gonna be doable, but they contacted me and told they would be at a show about 55 miles from me this morning, so I decided to make the trip. I also found an item in the area on Craigslist just in case so the trip weouldn't be a wasted one if the deal on the jug went sour...

I got to the show and found the ice older couple in their booth but I didn't see the jug, the show started at 9 and I got there at 10 so I was a bit worried someone grabbed it at their asking price. I introduced myself and asked about the jug, the husband told me they had it under the table covered up because they knew I was coming, ahhh sweet relief. The wife handed me the jug and the condition was great but I did notice a super tight hairline on the handle but couldn't tell if it's just the glaze or if it's a thru & thru. I asked them again about their best price before mentioning the hairline, it was the same price so I called the wife over and pointed out the hairline and the husband rushed over to see it. He told me they hadn't noticed it before and that he was sorry, I told him it wasn't a problem because it wasn't a repair repair but it would have an effect on my offer. He asked what my offer was and he countered, but I told him I wwas sticking with my offer because of the hairline, he told his wife it was up to her and she accepted which made me a happy camper.

The Paterson Guru told me at the meeting last night that it's a very hard to find jug, he has only dug pieces of one and never seen another, so I knew it was coming home with me. I also grabbed a nice Miller High Life beer can for $2 for my buddy who collects Miller stuff and then headed over to my Craigslist contact. Here is the William Buschmann jug, Buschmann was in business from 1874-1881 at 4 different addresses and this is a great 2 gallon jug...

9E7C76DB6CCA44319D3D97CD54607EEA.jpg

Attachments

• 9E7C76DB6CCA44319D3D97CD54607EEA.jpg
    9E7C76DB6CCA44319D3D97CD54607EEA.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 62

epackage

Reaction score
I have been trying to grab as many of these Mantel shelves as possible every since I got one last year at a local garage sale for $5. I have a plan drawn up to use them for a display that should really be great, at least it looks great on paper, and this one is perfect. It was only 4 miles from the high school and the asking price was $20, to buy it new would cost me $150-200 so it was a no brainer. It's 5' wide, 9" deep and 9" tall and it now makes 5 different styles/finishes for me in total. They also come in 4' and 6' and I hope to add another 2 or 3 in the near future, gotta love Craigslist, except for the times you get robbed, stabbed, shot or raped!![;)]

3C432AC0B01F4FD79D4F5B41081359B8.jpg

Attachments

• 3C432AC0B01F4FD79D4F5B41081359B8.jpg
    3C432AC0B01F4FD79D4F5B41081359B8.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 59

Dugout

Reaction score
It looks like you sre still on your roll....................................................

epackage

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: myersdiggers1998

Nice jug E- I HAD A CHANCE TO GET A LOCAL JUG TODAY , LARGER SIZE THAN THE ONE I HAVE , BUT IT HAD A LARGE CRACK ON THE BACK ,CLEAR UP AROUND THE NECK,AND THEY WERE STILL ASKING $350.00
I find alot of people have really high prices on their stoneware, everybody thinks they have found gold I think, I got mine for half what they were asking online Gordon...[;)]

I'm always on the hunt Renee...[;)]

surfaceone

Reaction score
Hey Jim,

Great get, sir. At the rate you've been going, you're gonna need those shelves by the dozen...[8D]

rimshot.jpg

epackage

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: surfaceone

Hey Jim,

Great get, sir. At the rate you've been going, you're gonna need those shelves by the dozen...[8D]
I have something H U G E in the works, so keep those eyes peeled and ears open, the landscape of Paterson bottles could be forever changed...[;)]

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mohib