Any ideas on this fruit jar???

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

lexdigger

Reaction score
This has to be my best dig to date! When I was working on digging it out, I thought I had a standard whiskey jug. You can imagine my surprise and excitment when I saw what it was!!! It's a stoneware Mason Fruit Jar made by Stone Union Stoneware Co. Red Wing, Minn.

masonfruitjarone.jpg

A closer look at the label. This is the first piece of stoneware I've dug with writing on it like this!!! I still can't get over it!

masonfruitjartwo.jpg

I've shown it here with an amber Coke I dug tonight for size comparison. It's about 7 1/2 inches tall, and six inches wide at the base. It's also got the Mason jar screw top closure. I think you could put a regular jar lid on it!

masonfruitjarthree.jpg

I can't find this thing in any of my books. I know Mason jars and Red Wing stoneware are both highly collectable, but I'm not sure how rare or common this one is? Any ideas on value or age??? Thanks for looking, Chris Capley

KentOhio

Reaction score
That's a good find, I know that much. I wish I could give you a value, but i'm not up to snuff on fruit jars.

lexdigger

Reaction score
Thanks! I ran a search on ebay and there are a couple up for grabs right now. I saw some that had already ended in the 200+ range! Chris Capley

Pettydigger

Reaction score
Sweet find lexdigger, those jars can go up really high in value. Condition is critical on stoneware and glass too I guess. Take very light steel wool to the rusted areas should clean up nice. I've seen those priced at $800 mint. I hope I can come across one of those intact in my future digs.[:D]

WhiteLighting

Reaction score
like the others said "Sweet find!!!!!!",especialy with the flow blue lettering!,
Value would most likley be more selling it in your State/area to a collector of these types of Jars/Stoneware food conatiners....,

where ya dug that from keep diggn!!!!!!!!!111

dollarbill

Reaction score
hey thats a nice find chris so when we going diggen maybe some that luck spill over on me . thanks for sharing. that gos to all yall good people too. thanks agian bill

lexdigger

Reaction score
Whenever you want dollarbill. I'd really like to come over to Maysville and do some digging!!! I hear you all have alot of good privies left to dig out!? Whenever you want to come dig here in Lexington, just let me know. I've got a few spots... Chris Capley

monalisa

Reaction score
Hi, nice find, congrats... I have seen these fruit jars, like yours, offered for sale with a zinc screw top at local shops. I do not remember the price they were asking exactly but, as you might know the book value is usually different, as is the price collector's of fruit jars are willing to pay. Thanks, Mike

monalisa

Reaction score
P.S. I also forgot to mention, "Red Wing" pottery collectors might be of some additional help to you. You have a potential for dual or tri interest in this fruit jar. Earthenware/stoneware collectors may have alot of interest, also. Mike

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BigJayKay