Any thoughts on this spiderweb pattern bottle?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

LolaInSF

Reaction score
Hello! A neighbor recently received this bottle as part of a lot of late 19th century pharmacy/apothecary jars. It's the only amber/brown bottle in the bunch, and the only one with this cool spiderweb pattern on it. The text across the top reads "Federal law forbids sale or re-use of this bottle. DH [I think...could be 11] 56." The original owner comes from a long line of pharmacists, so it could be much older than the others my neighbor got. Has anyone seen a bottle like this before?
Unfortunately, for now, this is the only photo I have, I may be able to get a shot of the bottom, if that would help.
Thanks, all!

Attachments

• mysterybottle.jpg
    mysterybottle.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 94

hemihampton

Reaction score
I've seen a few very similar to that one. Pretty sure a Alcohol Bottle like whiskey, ect., ect,. The screw on top is missing which would of been like a big aluminum looking cap that doubled as a shot glass. Leon.

P.S. I might have one just like it, been boxed up for many years.

GAjosh

Reaction score
Its a 1914 rye whiskey i believe. Also comes in clear. Heres a labeled one i found on the web.
6c372dd631288282ca5798142b6ee0fd.jpg

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Skoda

Reaction score
That is definitely a shot/dose cap whiskey flask as pointed out, but at the very oldest it dates from 1935, which is the year that "Federal Law..." moniker was required on all liquor and wine bottles. That style of flask with the included aluminum cap died out in the 1950's from what I've seen anecdotally, so I wouldn't expect it to be any newer than that.

Len

CT LEN
Reaction score
Hey Leon, I think Sasquatch ate a Forest Ranger. :eek: ..Squatch eats spiders for a snack!;)

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lichen