Any tips for removing corks from bottles.

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Mailman1960

Reaction score
I think there are two reasons for that. First, I believe that most members are responding in reference to corks, or portions of corks, that have been pushed into the interior of the bottle. Second, corks that are still lodged in the necks of 100-year-old bottles are often adhered to an extraordinary extent, especially when the contents of the bottle have long been drained or evaporated. Think of a carburetor that was left setting with gasoline in it for thirty years or more. What's left in that case is usually a shellac-like residue or conglomerate--or, at least it was in the days before unleaded gas.

Let's add a third reason: corks as old as we are considering in this context are often dried out and brittle due to time and affect of bacteria and fungi--as such, they tend to crumble.
You are correct I was referring to a cork that was pushed into a bottle. If it was still at top of the bottle I would leave it there I believe that would add some character to it. I have had some luck getting corks that were pushed in and reusing them on a smaller bottle. That's why I was wondering if anybody knew a trick to get them out once they were pushed in, and we've had some good conversation about it which is why this is such a good forum. Giddy up

Mailman1960

Reaction score
In the neck yes but once loose in the bottle and that might prove tricky. Suprised no one said that now that you mention it.
ROBBYBOBBY64.
I have tried corkscrews they're too thick for small bottles, the ones that are on knives are not as thick and I've had a little luck with those. I've used very small screws and better luck with those

Mailman1960

Reaction score
I got this one out with a fish hook It took A little while, for this little bottle hopefully I'll get $0.50 for the little slick

Attachments

• 20210520_223952.jpg
    20210520_223952.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 106

Newfie treasure hunter

Reaction score
I've had some buck with a pipe cleaner. I know eBay you can put whatever you want on there price wise, why would a newer O-Cedar bottle be going for $38 I believe they're fairly common
Unless you want to keep the cork, try what I do. I usually grab a pointy stick and push the cork into a corner. Then I mush it and it usually breaks apart. Hope this helps!

Latest posts

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lichen