Anybody know about cannonballs?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

amblypygi

Reaction score
Thanks for all of the replies. I'm tending to agree that it's probably not a cannonball. I took some better measurements and pictures and they seem to rule out a 32 pounder, which is really all it could be if it was a US cannonball. The hole is weird because it expands inside but not very much. It is also much smaller and less square on one side versus the other. Oh well, another mysterious thing found while looking for bottles, eh? Thanks again for the help.

Sean

85450B6FE9894296BFBFE4787E581D90.jpg

Attachments

• 85450B6FE9894296BFBFE4787E581D90.jpg
    85450B6FE9894296BFBFE4787E581D90.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 91

amblypygi

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: Steve/sewell

The ball does fit the criteria of being a cannon ball in outward appearance. Could it have been cast round and solid like a cannon ball and cut afterwards with an acetylene torch. The metal does look like it was melted altered at the square openings surface on the sphere it is shiny new looking on the edges of the opening.Just a thought

That shinyness is from me hacking at the rust with a screwdriver. When found it was a complete mass of black rust, what you see here is what emerged after I attacked it. My damn hands are still as black as they used to be back when I still fixed my own cars :)

Poison_Us

Reaction score
I want to say that possibly they were shackle weights...prisoners tied to their heavy balls on the chain gang.. Have no idea why whey would have square holes... The only reason to have square holes is to not be able to turn the ball. The ends don't match so they can release the rod that made the hole easier. If they were made after casting, this process is called Broaching. I just can't think of a reason for them to have square holes. They are already round, so if they turned it wouldn't make any difference. Unless they fit onto a square peg of sorts, making the fit firm with the taper...but why..

surfaceone

Reaction score
Hey Sean,

Cool mystery find. sir. Could it be half an example of Bar Shot?

BarChainShot-03.jpg
"Chain shot and bar shot were most often used in naval applications. Chain shot, pictured at the top, consisted of two balls of shot that were joined together by a chain. Bar shot, pictured at the bottom, consisted of two spherical balls of shot joined together with a bar. The principle of these types of shot was that they could be fired at the masts and rigging of ships and their whirling action would inflict severe damage." From.

Ecology1$1906-refugees.jpg

GuntherHess

Reaction score
I think Joe was correct, it is a cast iron counter weight.
I have seen a number of these at early southern homes.
They were called cannon ball gate weights.
http://www.luxuryhousingtrends.com/archive/2007/09/cannonball-gate/
Used to automatically close heavy gates.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Webster