anyone ever find a privy right next to a house?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

UnionCountyPA

Reaction score
I live in an apartment that is part of a house built in 1840. I borrowed a probe that is 4 or 5 foot long from work, and decided to start poking around in the yard behind my place.

There is an old back door that is now boarded up. You can tell because the trim is still there on the outside of the house. I've never probed before, but most spots in the yard the probe only went in a foot or so. Right next to the house where the old door is the probe just went right to the handle with relative ease.

So, my questions are: 1. were privies ever this close to buildings? and 2. if its worth digging how far down does it usually take to know youre in a privy. What signs should I look for.

Thanks in advance for any help!

westernglassaddict

Reaction score
I have seen quite a few privy's attached to or next to a house or other building...I am sure you already thought of this, but perhaps probe to the left and right of the "soft spot" to confirm that it is not soft from rain running off of the roof ( assuming you get rain). if the ground is hard down the line, but soft just in the one spot, I would dig it to China.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jiharris