Anyone ever find bottles lining a flower bed?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

willong

Reaction score
"Did You Know?
The garden in front of the main house at Oakland was once bordered with boxwood hedges. Inverted bottles were later added to decorate the edges of this parterre garden."​
That's a quote from this site: http://www.nps.gov/cari/siteindex.htm

presents an NPS pdf document entitled "The Significance of Oakland and Magnolia Plantations
" which constitute a National Historical Park where I worked as a preservation carpenter in 1999.

Part of the document also refers to bottles in the garden there: "Also important is the landscape, which contains an 1835 bottle garden, a formal entranceway, and intact agriculturalfields. The main house is set at the head of a short alley of live oaks behind a small formal garden. The parterres are outlined in various kinds of bottles - crock bottles from Scotland, square bitters bottles, round bottom beer bottles from Ireland, torpedo-shaped bottles from England, and wine bottles from France."

Let me tell you, the temptation was strong to this old bottle digger!

Regards,

Will

NOTE: I tried to insert photo of "Rows of Bottles" from the NPS website, but file was too large. If interested, just go to the site and search for the term "bottle" or "bottles."

TROG

Reaction score
I have found quite a few sites here in South Australia that have had garden bottle borders but all have been on farms where the soil is very sandy and there have been no stones around to use as borders. Most of these were from properties established around the 1900 period.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AuctionAnnie