Anyone ever snorkel for bottles?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

treasurekidd

Reaction score
I started a thread about snorkeling for bottles a few years ago but never gave it a try - until today. We were going to go digging, but the heat wore me out before I even got to my buddys house, so instead we grabbed the masks, snorkels and fins and went snorkeling in a nice local swimming hole, and found - NOTHING. We spend about 4 hours in the water, and I could not believe how clean the bottom was. This pond has a nice sandy, rocky bottom and the water was very clear, but there was almost nothing in the water at all in the way of trash or man made objects. We made sure to make our way far away from the regular swimming area, yet still nothing. Has anyone here ever had any luck snorkeling in fresh water ponds or lakes for bottles? Thanks!

cyberdigger

Reaction score
I used to poke around in the muck at low tide along the rivers here.. the water isn't quite right for snorkeling though.. kinda murky. When you suck a jellyfish in through your snorkel and a sallygrowler bites your ankle bone in half at the same time, and a blue claw pinches your pitoot to boot.. well, you don't try that again...

surfaceone

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: cyberdigger

and a blue claw pinches your pitoot to boot.. well, you don't try that again...

Gotta guard the patooties...[8D]

sm005a.jpg

epackage

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: cyberdigger

I used to poke around in the muck at low tide along the rivers here.. the water isn't quite right for snorkeling though.. kinda murky. When you suck a jellyfish in through your snorkel and a sallygrowler bites your ankle bone in half at the same time, and a blue claw pinches your pitoot to boot.. well, you don't try that again...
What's a blue claw....LOL[8D]

RIBottleguy

Reaction score
I've snorkeled in rivers before. Didn't find many bottles at first, but then again I did find that $850 threadless insulator... Usually bottles are in the deepest part of rivers and ponds. For a pond it needs to be near a place that was a business/industrial district in the 1800s. For rivers, anywhere there is a mill is good. They took out an old dam near where I live and the water dropped 4-5 feet. I found over 100 keepers in a 20 foot stretch of the river. They're out there, you just need to find the right spot!

surfaceone

Reaction score
Has anyone here ever had any luck snorkeling in fresh water ponds or lakes for bottles?

Hey John,

Lotsa SCUBA guys in these parts.

The former Camp Wetmore @ Oakland Beach (4th overhead view down) looks like it might be interesting.

Ocean House @ Watch Hill, too.
ocean-house-580-mbd071510.jpg
though don't know their freshwater situation.

fort-road-bath-house-watch-hill-rhode-island.jpg

rockbot

Reaction score
I got 32 dollars in change snorkeling a popular swim/diving spot in a river. It was in high school and that was a pretty big score back in the day![:D]

MaineMtnDigger

Reaction score
Hey Kid thats what I mostly do and the results can be awesome if you do the research and locate a spot near old houses and villages.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dvergatal