Apple Brandy Bitters-Goodson,VA

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

whiskeyman

Reaction score
Mornin'....I was kiddin' ya about the Caspers....It fills an important niche in Eastern Whiskeys and deserves some respect.

I had opportunities to purchase an example several times, but cobalt blue doesn't appeal to me. Teal blue does, and the pale light blues...for some reason I can't get attracted to cobalt. May be because of all those Phillips, Vicks, Noxemas, Bourjois, & Bromos I've dug...LOL

I saw a clear unembossed one at a flea market and passed it by. Thought about it...and the next weekend I went back to get it, but the seller wasn't there and I haven't seen him since.

There are many scarce & attractive Tennessee bottles. I've owned a few over the years. At one time, I was like you...I ignored them and collected historical flasks, bitters, or sarsaparillas.(ones my budget would allow).
Many local bottles passed through my hands before I began to get "serious" about collecting them. It was the St Andrews Wine of Life Root that got me focused and into researching.

whiskeyman

Reaction score
RE: Bristol KING's LIQUOR...
Ralph believed my "evidence" enough that he ran an ad in the Bristol paper offering money for one....several hundred dollars
A woman did call him and said she had a clear one with several shotglasses, but wouldn't sell it. He didn't see it though.

Dewey Whited, an old time collector/trader and dealer in Indian relics had the one that was burned. He never took any pics of it....they woulda burned too as his whole house was destroyed along with many stencilled Tennessee & Virginia stoneware jugs/crocks,etc.
Dewey is still alive and runs a little Trading Post out on Bristol Caverns Highway.

BRIAN S.

Reaction score
Don't like Cobalt ??? I just saw Cobalt in a different perspective since you mentioned Bromo's and Noxzemas !!! LOL
I like Cobalt myself ..... But not many Cobalt Bitters out there. None that are obtainable any way. Except the Solomon's .... and they are getting pricey at the Shows.

I will have to keep my eyes peeled for the King's ...... you never know who will be cleaning out the cabinets/ attic / basement. I will make a run on the 127 yard sale this year and will definetly keep my eyes peeled for those TN. bottles.

Brian

Flaschenjager

Reaction score
Where's Goodson,VA

I really don't ask any more. I see and hear of many small towns in this state, mostly on milks. I can't keep up. A lot of which are long gone and forgotten unless you ask the right person.

You were close..... I was out at one of my digging areas. I was at a hole not in one. See, there's a 11 hole course on the property (private). We did do some looking around, but never got the probes out of the truck. I've got some chiggers to prove it. [:'(] There's an icehouse on this historical piece of land, but now has a concrete floor.[:mad:][:mad:][:mad:]

Nothing to add as far as the bottles mentioned in the above two pages. "Boring others".....if you're talking about bottles, well it's fair game I'd say.

Note: Richmond - Central Va. has some very rare bitters to be dug. Many are listed as None Known - One Example Known - Fragments Known. Maybe this winter when we hit it hard again we'll fill up the back of the trucks with some.[:D]

whiskeyman

Reaction score
MEECH...I had some research about some "unknown" VA Bitters at one time...gleaned from old newspaper ads on microfilm.
Will see if I can locate that stuff...
I'm still looking (buying or trading for)....Bristol VA or Bristol TN whiskeys , drug store or patent medicines...also early sodas.
And, of course ...anything at all from Goodson VA....Thanx

whiskeyman

Reaction score
I'm still looking (buying or trading for)....Bristol VA or Bristol TN whiskeys , drug store or patent medicines...also early sodas.
And, of course ...anything at all from Goodson VA....Thanx

whiskeyman

Reaction score
BRIAN...been seeing some of those Rainbow Tonic Bitters labels offered on eBay...someone find a trove of those or what? (Reprints?)

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tina Luallen