Apple Brandy Bitters-Goodson,VA

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

whiskeyman

Reaction score
I'm still researching all local bottles....I get as much fun outta finding out something new as I do digging a good bottle.

whiskeyman

Reaction score
What miffed me about Ham was his not even acknowledging I sent him anything...

Tom Eccles is working on the Sarsaparilla book and I sent him info....He replied back and thanked me, and we've corresponded several times since...same for Dick Cannon. And John Wolf . and several other collectors I've written over the years.

BRIAN S.

Reaction score
I have heard of Heller Bros. , but not of Casper's . I am not familar with either label/bottle. I have seen Rainbow Tonic Bitters labels applied to many different types ( shapes , colors ) of bottles .... And it is listed. But , in my opinion these are fakes . But , I have been wrong before. Brian

BRIAN S.

Reaction score
That seems strange about Bill ..... He has always thanked me for the info I sent him. He even acknowledged me in his newest book . Are you sure he received the information you sent ? I don't know why he would be that rude , surely there is an explaination .

whiskeyman

Reaction score
I've not seen or heard of the Rainbow Tonic Bitters labels.

I've been wrong before too...if we were perfect, life would be boring.

I've often heard it said..."the person who never makes a mistake is one who never does anything."

The perpetrator of the Heller Bros & Caspers labels told me he did it...And a couple of other collectors verified he had bought the cases of old bottles.

ah well....100 years from now, who will care...HA!

whiskeyman

Reaction score
I mailed it to the addy he had on his ad in the magazine...can't imagine why he wouldn't have gotten it.

He never replied to my friend's letter either.

He had an unlisted variant of the Hooflands German Bitters at the time.

BRIAN S.

Reaction score
lol yes .... 100 years from now... I know I won't care .... for sure .
Now I'll have to throw out all those Hellers and Caspers I have been rounding up over the years . Well , maybe I'll keep my Cobalt Casper's > I know it's the real McCoy !!!

whiskeyman

Reaction score
ahhh,,,that old cobalt Caspers is common as dirt,.,..,.,why ya wanna keep that thing?[;)]

besides...McCoy is pottery.[:D]

whiskeyman

Reaction score
I see you left & went to bed...me too, in a minute.
1st though , I'll let you in on a "secret". There is rumored to be a cobalt Casper's-like whiskey from Bristol,Tenn...embossed in the slug:" King's Liquor/Bristol,Tenn."

One example destroyed in a fire back in the 60's. One other example reported intact in the hands of some "high society type person" who doesn't wish to be "bothered."

I've done a little research and found enough documentary evidence to confirm ( in my mind) that it does exist...will apprise you of that some other time...Niters all...."poof"

BRIAN S.

Reaction score
Yeah , Casper's are fairly common in Cobalt , but it is a classic Whiskey and everyone should have one in thier collection. I have the most common example. My Brother has the scarcer Cobalt 4 cities variant and is looking for the Clear example ( tough one to get ).
Man .... I'd like to get my hands on the Tennessee King's !!!! Never heard of it ! I am just recently getting into the Tennessee bottles . I haven't until lately been very interested in them. Bitters were all that I was collecting over the last few years. But , I am learning everyday about local bottles...... I didn't realize there were so many from our State. It seems that some of the local diggers would turn up some of these rare birds once in awhile. I see Tennessee bottles on ebay usually bring top dollar....especially if it's a Bitters. It makes it tough to add them to ones collection without taking a second mortage on the house.
Thanks for the info Charlie....Very good reading . I hope the forum members aren't bored .... as I am not , and appreciate the info.
Yeah I was falling asleep last night on the keyboard ..... so I called it a night.
Brian

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tina Luallen