Apple Brandy Bitters-Goodson,VA

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

whiskeyman

Reaction score
This one I have is unlisted...[:D]

BUt, I know you meant embossed unlisted variants.[;)]

There were several types of Bitters made & sold locally, but no examples known...no idea if they were embossed or merely labeled...[&:]

BRIAN S.

Reaction score
Good question ! I really don't know . I'm not familar with the Goodson , Va. label . I have only seen the Knoxville labels. It was a new one on me . But there is definetly a connection between the Knoxville and Goodson on this Brand. HMMMMMM !
Maybe Meech might have some info ?
Brian

whiskeyman

Reaction score
Perhaps...he went probing today...mebbe he's stuck in his hole?

I have a list of sorts of local Bitters...lemme dig it out.

BRIAN S.

Reaction score
Yeah , I was kind of dreaming of a very light Pink puce semi cabin embossed with Indian herb Wigwam Tonic and Frank Cheatham's Bitters Goodson , Va. ! LOL
Might as well wish for the grocery store as a loaf of bread !!!!

Have you written Bill Ham about the variant you have ?
Brian

whiskeyman

Reaction score
Pepper Bros...Celebrated Aperient & Tonic Bitters
Thomas & Campbell...Stoughton Bitters
Geo.R.Anderson's Scrofula Bitters
Bunting's Tonic & Alterative Bitters
Bunting's Tonic Bitters

They were all advertised as being Prepared and Sold here.

Also there is a Bitters advertised as being sold here that was prepared in Knoxville by McClung & Betterton..."Eureka Bitters"...no examples known that I am aware of...

BTW...Pepper Bros. were J.G. & C.T.Pepper. When C.T. retired he moved to Rural Retreat VA and opened a Drug Store...It was supposedly his daughter that an employee became enamored of...And when this employee moved to Texas and "created " a new soft drink , he named it after Pepper.

Dr.Pepper....

It has been said by those in Rural Retreat that the employee "stole" the formula from Pepper...who knows?

whiskeyman

Reaction score
I wrote Ham ages ago about ALL the above "unknown" Bitters, before he even published his book.......and never heard a peep outta him.

Another guy here also wrote him and heard zip...

So, I haven't bothered to waste my time telling him about this Goodson Variant.

Also I looked at Ralph's copy of his book and none of the info I sent him was included.

whiskeyman

Reaction score
You ever hear of Heller Bros. Bitters from Bristol or a Casper's Bitters from Roanoke?

Both are label only on clear rect. flask...BIM.

I've seen the Casper's....Ring lists a Heller Bros.

It's my understanding that the lables are fakes....guy up in VA had bought a couple of cases of the clear flasks at an auction....He cooked up the labels and sold them at flea markets for a couple dollars each....sort of as a joke.
His joke has gotten a few people burnt.

BRIAN S.

Reaction score
I have sent info/pics/rubbings to Bill on mold variants . And he added the info in the new book.
That's strange why he wouldn't add the Goodson. I might see why he wouldn't add the others , as there are no known examples of the bottle / label. He has the Knoxville variant listed in his first book . HMMM ! What's up with him not adding it I wonder ???

The other Bitters may be label only and that would help explain why none were known .
No one has dug a labeled exampl out of their attic yet ! Or if embossed they might have had low production numbers and none have been dug yet. I would go with the label only probably .

Have you been (or still ) researching these Bitters ?
Brian

whiskeyman

Reaction score
I didn't have the Goodson at the time I wrote him.
I sent him copies of the ads for the above Bitters....He had advertised he wanted any info about unknown or unlisted Bitters...for some list I presumed would be in the book.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tina Luallen