Archaeologist or looter?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

ScottBSA

Reaction score
Just read a post where there was some discussion of digging bottles for fun and profit running up against archaeologists and historians. Occasionally I see some information on line about a bottle or two from the local museum where they have them stored out of view, AND THE DATES ARE ALL WRONG!!!! Sorry about that. How hard is it to go the the library down the street and look up in the collection of city directories the published dates a company was in business or go to the court house across the street from the library and look up business and tax records. I do research on the items in my collection. The bottles are cataloged. For many of the bottles I can tell you not only who owned the company, but some biographical information about the owner and employees, when and where the bottle was made, if the building that housed the brewery or bottling works is still standing and have pictures to go with them. I know lots of us care not only about the hunt, but the historical relationship between the bottle and where it was found.
I could go on, but you get the idea.
By the way, one of the best museums with lots of bottles is in Kansas City with the Steamboat Arabia Museum. If you are ever in town it is a must see.

Scott

MichaelFla

Reaction score
I know in Florida they have made it illegal to dig in any navigable water way or body of water over 160 acres without 1) Being an archaeologist, anthropologist, or have a masters or above in history; and 2) Having a permit from the state specific to the site they want to dig. It is also illegal to pick up anything from those same waters that is over 50 years old. Picking up items over 50 years old from the bottom of the waterway is a misdemeanor, while digging in the waterway for bottles (or any collectible item) is a felony. There is a minimum fine of $500.
Once I finish getting the degree I am currently working on and getting a decent paying job, I will go back and get a masters in History, just so I can collect bottles legally :(

sandchip

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: ScottBSA

By the way, one of the best museums with lots of bottles is in Kansas City with the Steamboat Arabia Museum. If you are ever in town it is a must see.

Scott

And the clincher is that it was done entirely by private citizens with private money and NO government anything. Everything found is on display, not the good stuff hidden away for ivory tower eyes only. Hawley's book, Treasure in a Cornfield is one of the best and most amazing things I've ever read.

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
it was done entirely by private citizens with private money and NO government anything.
I doubt that. Some local, state or federal agency was at the very least watching the whole thing, maybe even funding it somehow.
They got it done right and that's what counts.

AntiqueMeds

Reaction score
The steamboat story was interesting.
Weren't they a group that thought there was gold or silver on the wreck?
It turned out there was just a bunch of cool cargo so the museum was a way to try and still make some money out of the fiasco.
That was the impression I got, maybe wrong.

UncleBruce

BEER DUDE
Reaction score
I doubt that. Some local, state or federal agency was at the very least watching the whole thing, maybe even funding it somehow. They got it done right and that's what counts.

Don't bet on this... it was entirely private. They were initially just going to salvage, but the scope of what was found was so astounding and fascinating they saved everything and then took years of their lives to find support for the museum that truly is a must see. I never get tired of going. It should be the top item on the bucket list of everyone in this forum.

Potlidboy

Reaction score
Many years ago I had the pleasure of sitting with the Hawleys in their office & talking about the wreck of the Arabia.....The entire operation was private (no government assistance or intervention). At one point they actually tried to get some government assistance in conserving the items & parts of the wreck. Our government turned them down...the rational was that if the government were to assist in preserving the items coming from the wreck, it would encourage other private citizens to do similar projects.....In other words our government would rather let the items found on the Arabia deteriorate then be conserved . The Hawleys finally found assistance from archeologists in Canada....The museum surrounding the Arabia is first class....The attitude of our government toward bottle diggers is archaic....It seems to me the government would benefit a great deal from enlisting the knowledge & labor of its citizens rather then treat the entire thing the way the do.

AntiqueMeds

Reaction score
The government (we the people) gets grief when they spend money on stuff like that and they get grief when they don't provide funding for stuff like that.
I would assume they took the decision of least pain, not funding it.
Some groups are calling for everything to be privately funded so it may be the future.
I'll admit that Walmart may be faster making my drivers license than the DMV but I still don't like Walmart.

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
I'll admit that Walmart may be faster making my drivers license than the DMV but I still don't like Walmart.
Talk about getting around any rule or regulation! If you need to know, ask them.
I've seen some prime wetland filled in to make a wallymart. Now it's streets and houses in the nearby that get flooded from the runoff and more traffic lights to stop at.
Sorry but I hate them, never bought a thing from them and never plan to.

Potlidboy

Reaction score
AntiqueMeds.......We the people.....yep that about sums it up......The Hawleys did not ask for money...just knowledge. So sad they had to go to Canada for advise....This was not a money issue....This was a “boys club†mentality. I'm sorry, but I have seen just too much poor government in this area.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lichen