At Last Some jars & bottles

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

coreya

Reaction score
Was out hitting yard sales and stopped at a little road side sale and saw a box with a bunch of bottles in it, looked thru them and the woman said "take the whole box for 5 bucks" I really didn't want to haul around a bunch of slicks so I picked out what I thought were the best six and gave her the 3 bucks she asked for. I'm not sure of these as I don't as a rule collect meds or poisons so any comments are welcome! There is a blue "WM. R. Warner & co. Philadelphia, A blue square 3" or so bottle marked on two sides "poison" with lines, A "harwood drug co. 1357 grand river ave. Detroit, Mich, A "llewellyn 1518 chestnut st. philada. A "walnut hills pharmacy 1126 chapel st." And a " the dow drug co. cincinnati"
My next stop was at an out of the way yard sale that I've passed a hundred times without stopping but something made me stop! The whole front of the yard and garage was loaded with junk and stuff that had been outside for a long time and held nothing of interest to me but in speaking with the owners son I happened to mention that I collected old mason jars and such, At this point he said hold on a second and asked if I liked insulators and let him get his dad so he can show me some good stuff. I walked back to the barn with the dad and when he unlocked the door and turned on the light I got the shock of my life! The sides of the barn were shelves one foot deep spaced about 8" apart from floor to ceiling about 30 ft long filled with insulators, bottles, jars, and stuff. The dad started naming off types of insulators and where and how he got them (all over the world) and that I should have been there a year ago when they got rid of a bunch of them. I was in such awe I forgot to take pictures and the barn was still chock full with walkways you had to squeeze thru!
He let me dig around and I picked out 3 jars (a #1491 type 1 lightning in a light bright blue, a masons patent with a long milkglass looking streak, and a white crown #2961) he also showed me a bucket of glass that he had found in a dump in Muncie Indiana that came from the glass furnaces (I picked out 3 nice pieces) also found a small figural gun which I think was used for candy.
The nice fellow invited me back anytime and I assured him that I would be happy to dig thru the barn anytime he wanted!
I wasn't sure where to post this as it covers several areas of interest so lets start here.

IMG_0143_zps72cd4099.jpg

IMG_0142_zpsb6a18e6f.jpg

IMG_0141_zpsff1c21d8.jpg

IMG_0140_zps9487f44e.jpg

IMG_0139_zps6e40f7df.jpg

IMG_0138_zps1cccce9d.jpg

IMG_0137_zpsc3aa0d12.jpg

IMG_0136_zpsac894a8f.jpg

IMG_0135_zps2fd667be.jpg

IMG_0134_zps02cddc1e.jpg

IMG_0133_zps228f20da.jpg

IMG_0131_zpsa26e0e53.jpg
[/IMG]

coreya

Reaction score
No the insulators were not for sale at this time [:(] also my knowledge of which are good which are not so good is minimal at best but you never know and the next time I go back I will be sure to get some pictures!

botlguy

Reaction score
You don't say what you paid for that haul (none of my business) but you got some really nice stuff. I suspect it was a bargain.

With regard to the insulators, I might suggest that you get the phone number of an insulator collector with access to a current price guide (they are accurate and very useful) , someone you trust, and if those insulators become available go through there while on the phone. Better yet, take a local insulator collector with you. Billinmo or myself can give you names and phone numbers of reliable folks in your area. Most insulator collectors are stand up folks.

Jim

sparrow75

Reaction score
Yeah, post up some pictures of the insulators and we can help out. As botlguy said, there's a few on here that know insulators well! Im a newbie insulator collector, so im not the best go to guy, but id be interested in seeing them anyways. Good luck!

coreya

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions, The medicines were 3 bucks and the jars, glass, gun bottle I gave 20 to hopefully grease the skids for later. I will definitely get some pics and advice before doing anything.

zecritr

Reaction score
Good one on the meds,that's about right they go for 3 to 5 higher of course if they are scarcer and or someone from the cities collect them,i'm not the go to guy for them also :) just started but that's what i have been finding them for in general.

I would go for 5 apiece on the middle one's up to ten on the right one,not sure one the left on but i might do ten on that one but that is just me and what i would do,without really having done any research on them.

The poisons, i really don't know about but they seem to do really really Good :) Wish i could find a lot like that for that.

deenodean

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: coreya

Thanks for the suggestions, The medicines were 3 bucks and the jars, glass, gun bottle I gave 20 to hopefully grease the skids for later. I will definitely get some pics and advice before doing anything.

Looks like an EXCELLENT outing to me !! [sm=thumbup1.gif]

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyH