Augusta, Georgia "Big Dig" PICTURES

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

surfaceone

Reaction score
OK - this is Mike Newman signing on to the forum for the first time in nearly a year. I do read the various forum blogs on an ongoing basis, but rarely post comments.

Hey Mike,

Thanks for signing back in. Wonderful dig that you are a part of, sir. How come you don't join in more often? You certainly have the knowledge and the chops to be a valuable contributor.

I, too, am sorry that Steven gave a bit too much information. He clearly didn't know of the digging lust. Why not write Cowseat or cyberdigger and ask that the specifics be deleted? I'm sure that they would understand.

"Jealousy," you bet, but in the best possible way. I hope that you will continue to inform us of this dig, and some of the delightful discoveries, y'all have made.

Best of luck,

surf

cover.jpg

Wheelah23

Reaction score
I admire your enthusiasm and knowledge, and especially your up-frontness when it comes to divulging information. I was way too quick to judge, and I apologize. All I can do now is beg that you'll keep posting pictures! That pottery sounds extremely interesting, I'd love to see some pictures.

lexdigger

Reaction score
I kinda doubt Steven meant to cause this dig any trouble, but was very surprised when the location was disclosed. At first read it almost seemed like an Open invitation to come and dig on weekends. I don't think he realized the distances and lengths diggers with go to dig good glass/pottery. I'm about 100% sure he would not post the exact location of a metal detecting site that was spiting out gold coins worth six figures.

Either way, I'm glad to have a chance to see the action and hope to see some of the better stuff you all dug out of those holes. Looks like lots of digging still left to be done there... Good Luck!

surfaceone

Reaction score
I love bottles for many reasons including their handmade crudity, awesome colors, and many varieties. I love the fact that obsessive compulsive people like me can satisfy this addiction by adding that missing example in a color run or maybe mold type in a run of otherwise similar embossings. I love the friendships the hobby allows me to make and the old stories shared by longtime collectors like Mark Vuono. And yes, I also love that I have a hobby where I can go out and find something of value on a weekend versus spending money on a golf round or other paid activity... However, when digging this dump I am like a kid in a candy store I work just as hard to pick up a bromo seltzer as I do a nice green jug.

Hey Mike,

So very well said. I like to hear those old stories as well, and as I get older, I find I sometimes don't mind hearing em twice. I've found old bottles, thanks to some'a those stories.

This story you're in the middle of, is a complete corker from where I sit. Thanks for giving us further deep background. I'm a digger, not a buyer or dealer, so the photos that Steven put up were a complete delight. My collection, such that it is, all comes with a backstory. That is something I always wonder about, and attempt to further flesh out with research, and often the colloquy in these blue pages.

There's tremendous Augusta history in your diggings. One that I can appreciate from afar thanks to your efforts and Steven having been rightly impressed, and generously giving us a window into one of those epic digs, now of legend.

So thanks for furthering this story. Steven alluded to this being a multi-staged dig, which gave me the impression that there may have been previous grand scale investigations. Future ones, too, I hope for y'allz sake. I hope you'll again give us box seats for the rest of the story...

etta-james.jpg
Etta-James.jpg
3892_etta%20james%2007.jpg

bottlekid76

Reaction score
Great post, and many thanks for the info on your awesome dig! Looking forward to more photos of your great finds! I grew up down in Ga, and love the Augusta history you have been sharing.

~Tim

bottlekid76

Reaction score
My goodness that's alot of Cokes! I'm assuming there are some from other places besides Augusta? That River Swamp sure looks nice [;)]

~Tim

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: southernsodacollector

As it looked 5 minutes ago - was cleaned with soap and water only. What a great impression!

58C9ACD8782644378401192438703751.jpg

I would be HAPPY with that one bottle over everything else that came out of that dump. Cool Bottle

WonGan

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: southernsodacollector

Good morning all. I will occasionally add some pics of the dig, as the forum members seem to be enjoying viewing them.

9F2A5B526C514336B06C809B0A463CA8.jpg

Very nice chill and fever cure! I am a big fan of jugs too,love the "harvest jug"! I wish I could see the rest of the bottom of this picture.Nice dig and I hope to see more.Congratulations!

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tasha85