Augusta, Georgia "Big Dig" PICTURES

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: carobran

I dont see how yall are just selling all this stuff,especially that Swamp River Cure,I just couldnt bring myself to let them go.[:)]Did the Swamp River only come in amber?

DING DING! WE HAVE A WINNER. $$$$$$$$$$ IS THE ROOT OF ALL BOTTLE EVIL [8D]

epackage

Reaction score
I see we have another Jackass bringing fun and frolic to the site, only an A-Hole would think that the only place in collecting you'll find "unsavory people" is in a group of bottle diggers. I was gonna applaud your post and pic's now I'm just gonna pray you go away ...

tftfan

Reaction score

EEA6854EDF2A4A44B07173F75648A874.jpg

Attachments

• EEA6854EDF2A4A44B07173F75648A874.jpg
    EEA6854EDF2A4A44B07173F75648A874.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 71

edndlm

Reaction score
I was glad to see a whole small size River Swamp ! It cleaned up real nice with soap & water . I'm also glad Mike Newman added the story behind the pictures . Sometimes a thousand words are better than the pictures . Keep up the good work & please add more photos !

sandchip

Reaction score
Had to be a rush to see that thing roll down the pile.

Plumbata

Reaction score
It really is an extraordinary privilege to have this dig shared with us, thank you both Steven and Mike for taking the time to share the pictures and information contained in this thread. Please don't stop either!

I was suckled and weaned on TOC dumps and the one you're in is so incredible it blows my mind. Perhaps if i was used to older stuff I'd be a bit more jaded, but as it stands I'm getting much vicarious pleasure from your fascinating dig. I've never seen 250+ SS cokes in one place, and the stoneware you've found is unbelievable. The pictures showing the stratification of the layers makes me salivate like no gastronomic delicacy has ever managed.

I don't care either way if this dig is being conducted partially for financial gain; if it wasn't, then I doubt that the property owner would be too keen on letting anyone dig in his wonderful dump. Money is a wonderful lubricant, and in order to keep the operation running smoothly, the more you can make the better. Clearly y'all appreciate the history and experience of discovery more than the cash, otherwise you wouldn't be in the hobby.

So this dump, is it one massive landfill, or is it a filled in canal or mill-race? Any idea what the period of earliest use to the general general year of the abandonment of the dump is?

carobran

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: IloiloKano

Not beating a dead horse, but you really are an ass.
Why dont you go surfing or something?[8|][>:]

carobran

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: southernsodacollector

Branden, we do not sell all of our finds. I was able to buy out the other partners and keep the Riverswamp Chill & Fever Cure. I will also keep a mint condition green pottery jug marked W. F. Hahn, Trenton, SC, and a few other nice jugs and bottles. I will sell or trade most of the other finds so that I can continue to grow my colored soda and historical flask collections. Bill Baab has only kept a few of his picks since he primarily collects Augusta bottles and already has most of every type known. Bob Riddick will keep many of the South Carolina bottles and dispensaries that he tries to pick. Jerry Newton is fairly new to collecting and tends to only keep the better bottles and pottery he picks and sells the rest. Pat Oliver will eventually sell pretty much all of his picks, but I can assure you it is not all about the money with him as he has the bottle digging bug as much as anyone I know.

In response to you question about other Riverswamp colors, there are two mold variants (straight reeds and blowing reeds) and nearly all are found in amber. There was a single dig find n Charleston in the early 1980's where 3 or four were found in a true yellow coloration. A good friend of mine owned them, and his wife dropped and broke one at the Columbia, South Carolina bottle show. I am truly convinced that the abuse he gave her over that accident soon led to their divorce! I think the others sold at the Montgomery, Alabama national show in 1984 (think this was the year).
That last paragraph almost made me cry[&o][:(].I can only imagine the looks(and maybe a few choice words) she was getting when she broke that thing.I bet the Swamp River would be an even prettuer bottle in aqua.I have to admit,im jealous as all get out of yall right now.[;)]

baltbottles

Reaction score
Mike how about some more pictures of the pottery it looks like some blue decorated stoneware? in front left of the table.

Chris

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jaygause