Augusta, Georgia "Big Dig" PICTURES

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

carobran

Reaction score
I doubt you'll find any but if ya'll find any bottles from MISSISSIPPI please,PLEASE let me know.[:)]

IloiloKano

Reaction score
I finally got my computer fixed by cloning and replacing the system drive, so I just caught up with the forum posts to see that Mike Newman has posted pictures of several finds that I hadn't seen.

I was glad to see those pictures, but I feel like I must defend myself regarding posting of the dig site online. My brother had stated to me that the Augusta dump dig was already big news among the bottle collecting community, and I had been told there was a time when local collectors were allowed to pick through the cheaper bottles and make offers in order to defray fuel costs, but that they stopped that for some reason, (I assumed it was due to interruption that it caused to the dig itself, but I never asked).

I also didn't realize bottle collecting draws some people of a type which I personally would deem unsavory. I've not met such people among rare book or coin collecting groups, though I suppose all groups contain unsavory types to some extent.

So given what I was told, I hope everyone understands why I didn't think the dig site was being kept a secret.

By the way Mike, would you post a picture of that ceramic spittoon that was found the day I was there? That was uber cool!

carobran

Reaction score
I dont see how yall are just selling all this stuff,especially that Swamp River Cure,I just couldnt bring myself to let them go.[:)]Did the Swamp River only come in amber?

loris19

Reaction score
Not Singleton but I know him well. Surprised you guys didn't find more dispensaries there. Looks like a lot of great stuff. Thanks for posting the pictures and info.

lexdigger

Reaction score
Not beating a dead horse, but I can assure you there are unsavory types collecting Anything and Everything. One of the things I collect the most (native american artifacts) can put a Fever into people that will cause them to do things you would never Dream of. There are actually Federal Laws in place now because of this.

As well as with artifacts and antique bottles, I have seen Many coin collectors get Gold Fever. Houses have been broken into and entire collections have been stolen. The same goes with rare books as well. People are sitting in Prison right now because of stealing Books out of Libraries all across the country... some books dealing with native american artifacts, antique glass and even coins.

Anyone who deals with rare or valuable items of Any type will realize that there are always people out there trying to get something over on you. Reproductions are sold as fakes, Prices are low/high balled, and sites are jumped onto and hunted behind peoples backs. I try to share as much as I Can online but there are times to keep site locations secret. Not Everyone is into collecting things for the Love of the items or the history contained within. For some it is Only about the Almighty dollar.

Luckily it seems that the diggers and your brother have no hard feelings. No harm, no foul?

Wheelah23

Reaction score
Someone's ass needs a beating...

donkey.png

lexdigger

Reaction score
That's the point you seem to miss. I could care less... it's not my digging spot. If it was, and you posted the exact location online... WTF? I wouldn't do that to my worst enemies, more less my family and friends? Good luck with that.

surfaceone

Reaction score
Hey David,

I think you may be reading too much into Chris' remarks. All of the points he made were in answer to your remark about unsavory types in the bottle collecting world. They were all valid points to my thinking. Was that a shot across the bow of all bottle collectors? No.

My brother had stated to me that the Augusta dump dig was already big news among the bottle collecting community

David, I like to think myself part of that "community," but when you first, here, said

The Big Dig of 2011 (and continuing into 2012)

Results of excavating virgin territory around the former...

followed by map coordinates, my jaw dropped. This is very rarely, if ever done, especially on a private industrial property setting; doubly, if not triply so, when hoping to have ongoing happy digging, and quiet enjoyment of said private property.

You're a new guy to the whole milieu. I truly hope there was no harm, and that there will be no fouls. This is way too good of a dig and developing story, for there to be interference.

David, I thank you for bring this dig to our attention. Yours was the first word of it, that I, or perhaps the majority of folks on here had heard of it. Probably it was known by some of the southern digging cognoscenti, but they were not speaking of it on an international bottle forum.

I'm looking forward to seeing more of the finds and learning more of the story, cuz it is a great story. I'm very pleased that Mike has continued with his contributions of images and insights. Y'all have a unique window into perhaps a Southern Soda bonanza of the likes of the Embarcadero dig of yore. Thanks for furthering friendly discussion...

4676800718_430345d07b_z.jpg

"Coca Cola Bottling Company; Augusta, GA

Advertising painted on the old Coca-Cola Bottling Company on Reynolds Street." From.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jaygause