back after 30 yrs

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Atlas

Reaction score
hi..i just joined this forum..I'm from Mass and started digging in the early 70's in jr high, and then pretty much dropped it for a few decades. I don't know what got me to thinking about it, but now I'm taking long walks to put the garbage out and casing my neighbors' back fields for dumps. (My wife's like, "now where the heck did he go?") A few mos ago, I went back to my very first dump. One of my very first bottles ever was an amber Westford Glass Co (1857-1863 I think) halfpint. It is in my sock drawer. I have never found a pontil, though, so that is a goal. Anyway, back to my story--finally found the dump--after 3 decades. Dug the edges and though no bottles I found an 11" high roman soldier in bronze. It's a trip--how did this piece of fine art end up on some farmer's mantel? ..Anyway, I'll figger out how to post pics, and soon you can see some of the items described above. Anyway, glad to see I'm among fellow lunatics like myself.

George

downeastdigger

Reaction score
Crawling through the mud and briars of Eliot Maine
Welcome back George. I began digging in Hanover Mass in the 1970s too. I wonder if we ever dug the same dumps back then. I've found more stuff in the past 10 years than I did in my first 20 years digging, thats for sure.
Cant wait to see a picture of that soldier !
Bram

diggerdaveb

Reaction score
Welcome George....I also began digging dumps back around 1970 when I was a kid. It has been a lifelong adventure for me that has never lost it's thrill. It sounds like you have caught the bug again my friend! We'll look forward to hearing of your finds and seeing some pics. wow, that bronze statue sounds like a fabulous find! congratulations. (Digger Dave)

bigghouse

Reaction score
I'm from massachuseetsss!!! i hope you stay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good luck on finding your pontil!!!!!!

anna

idigjars

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum George. A lot of nice folks on here. Good luck with your digging and finding, keep us posted. Paul

cordilleran

Reaction score
Somewhere in the Great American Southwest
George:

Dancing by the light of the moon is a favorite pasttime for those in the thralls of mid-life crisis. Just returned from a VA sleep study, so I decided to meander through the posts. Welcome aboard! Bottle (and related antiques collecting) being the wholesome activity that it is, serves to link us to our past. Lord knows, culturally we could all afford an infusion of wholesomeness nowadays. In any event, I've found this Forum to be a close-knit group of like-minded folks and I suspect, if nothing else, it beats the high costs of professional psychological counseling. Think of the Forum as your favorite neighboring watering hole without the hangover.

appliedlips

Reaction score
Welcome back George.That bronze sounds like a really cool find.Doug

Atlas

Reaction score
thanks for the warm welcome, you guys. A big change I see from the 70s is that there was a bottle club in my school, and there were a few groups of kids (boys mostly) that would roam around, bushwack and find dumps. Nowadays, they're at soccer, on MySpace or playing Guitar Hero. I also didn't worry about ticks back then. I'm not psyched to get Lyme (again), so will slather on the DEET during my rambles and digs.

Mike O

Reaction score
Welcome George, By any chance did you dig Pepperell as a kid???? I dug with a kid named George when I was in JR. High in the 70's myself and that was in Pepperell! I guess a real long shot but who knows! Mike

PS I too left the hobby for 30 plus years and now am back too

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cehobson