Ball Pints on eBay

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

MNJars

Reaction score
What has been going on the last week or so on eBay with Ball PM pints!? One with a 13 mould number (not rare) sold for over $300, another for over $150, and another for over $130. Am I missing something with these auctions? I noticed it was the same 2 bidders on each auction bidding it up. You can buy some REALLY nice jars for $300! I feel bad for the buyers, but the sellers sure made some money. I wish I had one to sell right now!
I'll try to post some links, hopefully they work:

Over 300

Over 150

Over 130

georgeoj

Reaction score
The BPM half pints are fairly common. So are their plentiful reproductions. The originals are maybe a 20. dollar jar. The number 13 shows up just as often as any other mold number and they are not even scarce much less rare. The eBay started and perpetuated hoax on these two things are very good examples of just how really ignorant people can be.

The BPM's: I have even had jar dealers, who should know better, argue that they really are 'rare'. Take a look any day at the jars for sale on eBay. There will always be BPM half pints for sale. If you wanted to do so you could buy a couple of bushel baskets full of them over a period of a year or two.

As for the number 13 being bad luck yada yada yada. That is a modern idea developed after these jars were made. It is completely ridiculous in every respect. I guess that the bakers, in the time that these jars were made, put that thirteenth donut in the bag just to give their customers bad luck?

georgeoj

Reaction score
And now the pints. (i reed sum[8|])
BPM pints are somewhat scarcer than the very plentiful quarts. They are normally $5. at the local mall with the quarts bringing $2. The same thing applies with the 13 mold number here. Does anyone remember the section in your history book that mentioned the time when tulip bulbs were "very rare' and the most valuable thing going? Even more valuable than gold. Guess what happened when it tuned out that there were lots of tulip bulbs. There are lots of BPM pints and there are as many 13 mold numbers as any other number. Pick any number and convince people that it is RARE. Within a short time, that number will be hard to find because everyone, having heard the rumor, will be out snatching them off the shelves.
I like some of the old sayings because they are basic truths:
A fool and his money are soon parted.
There is a sucker born every minute.
An object is worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it.
George

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DaveL