Bar Keepers Friend

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Plumbata

Reaction score
A rock tumbler for cleaning the insides of bottles... Sounds pretty awesome! I don't like the look or feel of many bottles that get an external polish but the inside is a different story. It would really improve the look of lots of my dug druggists, I'll have to poke around for something like that, good idea man.

hemihampton

Reaction score
What keeps the packing peanuts on outside of bottle from moving away from bottle to where the outside of bottle is now rubbing up against container & no peanuts to protect it? LEON.

Plumbata

Reaction score
You could surround it with gobs of bubble-wrap, then chink it in place with peanuts once centered inside the canister. It really is an affordable and appealing idea.

hemihampton

Reaction score
what if you clean the inside but outside is all beat to hell. Then whatcha do? LEON.

Bottleworm

Reaction score
I fill it all the way up with peanuts and I make it so they are pretty compact. Then I get the bottle and maneuver it in the middle. The bottle is always in the same place in which I put it. Leon if the outside is beat up there is nothing I can do. I just do the inside of my bottles. I can only do meds and a few of my smaller hutches.

DeeSter

Reaction score
I think it's a stellar solution... especially with Plumbata's idea of adding a layer of bubble wrap! Of the bottles I own, I think there's only a small handful that are even close to something resembling pristine on the exterior. I'm weirdly drawn to flawed glass. Bruises, scuffs... even those annoying fleabites everyone seems to dislike. Gives them character, I think... perfectly imperfect! But the interior haze and crud... that's a different story. I'm a mineral oiler, but even that's often only marginally effective at masking it. To Leon's earlier point, I did some soaking yesterday and also noticed a marked improvement on some of those exteriors. Obviously, I highlight all my bottles, and I've found over the years that some glass has a strange, almost repellent issue that causes the paint pen to bleed (like a Sharpie on paper). BKF seems to have eliminated this on almost all of the ones that had it, letting the paint stay on the embossing where it belongs! Bottleworm, if I can ask... where do you get your copper from?

Bottleworm

Reaction score
My dad had a bunch of old wiring that was in our house that was copper. He striped off all the crap off and gave me like a 25 foot long strand of copper wire and I cut it up. Too expensive to buy it.

iggyworf

Reaction score
I still need to try this . That is exactly how I got a large pile of copper also. Free from scrap wire.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jimk26