Barq's Root Beer

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
By the way ...

Schmidt & Company distributed some of their beverages in Honolulu, Hawaii in ...

Schmidt & Co Honolulu Hawaii 1890.jpg

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
This is still the latest date I can find for "Orangine" - but I do not know if it was a Barq Brothers or a Schmidt & Co. brand, or if it was possibly produced by someone else.

Note: As for the "Orangine" bottles I posted earlier that were produced by the Cascade Bottling Company in New Orleans in the 1930s and later, those are as big of a mystery to me as the rest of this is!

Goldsboro, North Carolina

Orangine Goldsboro N.C. 1909.jpg

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
If you aren't confused enough already, this should do it! ;)

I found numerous references and advertisements for this product early on, but figure its time to throw another wrench into the gears. It pertains to a brand of Headache Powder called "Orangine"

I will post more about this product later, but for now this particular article is from 1927. As far as I know there is absolutely no connection between this headache powder and the Orangine beverages.

Rochester, New York - 1927

Orangine Headache Powder 1927 Rochester NY established in 1897.jpg

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
As the last article indicated, Orangine Headache Powder originated in 1897.

These first two ads are the earliest I can find for it ...

Lawrence, Kansas ~ 1900

Orangine Powder Lawrence Kansas 1900.jpg

De Moines, Iowa ~ 1900

Orangine Powder De Moines Iowa 1900.jpg

And this is the latest/newest ad I can find ...

Kokomo, Indiana ~ 1950

Orangine Powder Kokomo Indiana 1950.jpg

Note: There are literally hundreds of ads for Orangine Headache Powder between 1900 and 1950 - most of which are from Midwest states. But after 1950 it just disappears. Like I said earlier, there doesn't appear to be any connection between the headache powder and the beverage other than having the same name. However, the name itself could have been the subject of legal controversy, even though I have not seen anything to substantiate that yet. I probably won't dig into the headache powder version of "Orangine" any more than I already have unless something presents itself that I feel is significant to this discussion.

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
By the way ...

The majority of the headache powder ads spell it "Oragine" but a few spell it "Orangeine" with an additional 'e' but I believe those minority spellings are typos.

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Which brings us to these ...

Orangine Poster France Date and Info Unknown.jpg

Orangine South America.jpg

Orangine South America Still Being Bottled.png

(More about them later)

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Regarding the Orangine brand from Ecuador South America ...

All I know about it is what I found on the following website and that it was first produced in 1900. But other than that, I do not know if there is any relation between it and the brands produced in the United States.

http://www.orangine.com.ec/#!about1/c1x1t

This is the Spanish to English translation of its history from their website...

In the year 1900, the brewery La Victoria in the Quebrada de Jerusalem, next to El Panecillo sector, became the home to a dream that was to become one of the most loved and remembered by the Ecuadorians brands over the years with "Orangine" being their favorite Orange and Blackberry products.

The company transformed both their external structures and interiors, making it one of the largest in the country. Currently, Orangine has gained an important place in the Ecuadorian market, always looking for diversification of products that satisfy our customers who have relied on us for generations and who prefer 100% Ecuadorian products.

I do not know the date for the bottle pictured in the ad, but suspect its from the 1950s or 1960s.

Orangine South America 1900.jpg

Orangine South America.jpg

Last edited:

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Reminder ...

The history trail for the Barq Brothers Orangine and the Schmidt & Company Orangine disappears around 1895.

And now we see where it reappears again in Ecuador in 1900. This leads me to wonder if there was a connection between the Ecuadorian Orangine and the U.S. Orangine's?

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
And let's not forget about these bottles! What's the story on them? I haven't found a confirmed date for any of them but suspect the deco-style bottle is from the 1930s or 1940s and the acl bottles are from the 1950s or 1960s ...

Reminder: The deco bottle is embossed on the base with "Cascade Bottling - New Orleans, Louisiana"

Orangine Bottle Cascade Bottling New Orleans Embossed.jpg

Reminder: Although unconfirmed, one of these acl bottles was described as being marked with "Mobile, Alabama"

Orangine Bottle ACL.jpg

Orangine Bottle ACL (2).jpg

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Inconclusive Conclusion ...

I've come to at least three forks in the road (or should I say three dead ends) and don't know which one to take. So rather than wandering around aimlessly, I've decided to head home with the hope that someday, someone will come along who will be able to fill in the gaps I can't seem to find about the various "Orangine" soft drinks. In the meantime, here's a brief timeline for some of what we do know ...

1888 = Schmidt & Company - Stockton, California - Apply for "Orangine" trademark.

1890 = Barq Brothers Bottling is established in New Orleans, Louisiana.

1893 = Marie Barq receives a gold medal for "Orangine" at the Chicago World's Fair.

1898 = Barq's Root Beer / Biloxi Artesian Bottling Works established in Biloxi, Miss.

1900 = "Orangine" Bottling established in Ecuador, South America.

Forks In The Road (2).jpg

Note: I might do some additional research on the "Orangine" acl bottles and see if I can determine exactly who produced them and when. But other than that, this pretty much concludes my contributions to this discussion. I hope they have been helpful and will eventually lead to solving what I consider a most interesting mystery.

Signed ...

Sodapopbob

Last edited:

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Snidelis