Barq's Root Beer

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Ginger Dew ...

I mentioned this brand earlier but still haven't been able to find out very much about it. This particular snippet is from a 1894 New Orleans newspaper and is part of a list of various products that were to be displayed at ...

The Interstate Fair - Sioux City, Iowa - October 4, 1894 through October 13, 1894

Barq Orangine and Ginger Dew New Orleans September 1894.jpg

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
I posted this 1900 article earlier but wanted to take another look at it. Notice the highlighted area where it says ...

"... pop bottles branded as follows:"

And that the Barq Brothers is listed at number 11.

So, exactly what does the word "branded" mean? Does it mean "embossed" or does it mean branded with a "paper label" or possibly both - embossed and/or a paper label?

Barq Brothers New Orleans April 1900.jpg

This next snippet is from a 1903 San Francisco newspaper and is not directly related to Barq's, but notice where it says ...

" ... bottles, branded by letters blown in the glass with the names of the bottlers ..."

Note: Even though this is inclusive, for me it presents the possibility that Barq Brothers bottles could have been embossed.

Barq Branded Bottles San Francisco Article 1903 Non Barq Related Example Only.jpg

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Question(s) ...

If paper labels came off easily in ice or water, or just from general handling, then why would the 1900 article make such a big deal about returning "branded" bottles? If the paper label came off, how would they know who it belonged to if it wasn't embossed with the bottler's name?

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
P.S.

Are we certain that all of the Hutchinson bottles are embossed with "Biloxi Artesian Bottling Works" and that some of them might be embossed with "Barq Brothers" ???

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
For future reference, here's a good picture of a typical Barq Hutchinson bottle embossed with ...

Biloxi Artesian Bottling Works - E. Barq Prop.

Barq Hutchinson Bottle Biloxi Artesian Bottling Works.jpg

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Variation , embossed with ...

Barq's Bottling Works (No 'Biloxi' or 'Artesian') Gulfport, Mississippi - E. BARQ

Barq Hutch Bottle Variation Biloxi Bottling Works Gulfport Miss.jpg

Last edited:

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Reminder ...

All of the "Barq Brothers" references I'm familiar with are from New Orleans, Louisiana and not Biloxi or Gulfport, Mississippi

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Just for the record ...

Portions of this Wikipedia account about Barq's is incorrect ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barq's

The Barq's Brothers Bottling Company was founded in 1898 in the French Quarter of New Orleans, by Edward Charles Edmond Barq and his older brother, Gaston. The Barq Brothers bottled carbonated water and various soft drinks of their own creation. Early on their most popular creation was an orange-flavored soda called Orangine, which won a gold medal at the 1893 World's Columbian Exposition World's Fair in Chicago, Illinois. (Needs verification.)

Note: I confident we have established that Barq Brothers Bottling was established in New Orleans in 1890 and not in 1898 as the Wikipedia account states. And as far as the (Needs verification) part goes regarding "Orangine," I'm confident we have fully verified that it did in fact exist!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jaygause