Basic bottle cleaning

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

cindysriley

Reaction score
If you don't mind, I have a question. I have a bottle that has a rat on it. I love this bottle, but it has a spider cocoon on the inside. It has a rusted cap on the bottle. Can I remove this cap without hurting the bottle? It will destroy the cap...

blobbottlebob

Reaction score
If the cap still is solid, I think you can try to remove it carefully by prying at it from several different angles around the rim. This may allow you to preserve the cap. As long as you are not directly applying pressure to the rim of the bottle, you should not hurt the glass in the cap removal process. Once its off, the spider web stuff should rinse right out with water and a few swirls or shakes.

dw3000

Reaction score
Is there are good way to remove rust and other stains from ACL's?

blobbottlebob

Reaction score
Hey DW,
The method described on this thread should work great for the insides. For the outside, be careful on the painted surfaces, they can be scrubbed off. Outside of that, you can use a scotch brite pad or a toothbrush. On the ACL area, I sometimes uses a product called gel-gloss. It is a non-abrasive polish. (This may not be approved by experts). It is VERY strong and will actually remove paint if you over apply / over scrub it. But a thin application with gentle polishing can do wonders. Hope that helps.

Sir.Bottles

Reaction score
Thanx for your advise blobbottlebob. I works really well with my bottle collection. is this method safe for cleaning stoneware? well this kind a ridiculous though but I prefer my collection to be cleaned, outside & inside (even I' am unable to see inside of a stoneware bottle).

blobbottlebob

Reaction score
I have never tried it on the inside of a stoneware bottle. I have never been much of a clean freak, and if you can't see the dirt much, I'm okay with it. Plus, there might be a bit of authenticity in that inside stain. You can tell it is not a repro because it has the original 'as found' patena on the inside. However, having said that, I realize that other collectors, such as yourself Sir, may want to clean them. If you'd like, I might have something that I could experiment on. It should work just fine but I have one concern. That is, the copper works well on the glass because the glass is harder than the copper. Therefore, the copper doesn't easily scratch or damage it. If the glazing is as hard as glass, you're golden. But if it is softer, there is a risk that the copper would scuff up the finish - which in my humble opinion - is worse than dirt.

carobran

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: dw3000

Is there are good way to remove rust and other stains from ACL's?
Use Bar Keepers Friend,make a thick paste with it and spread it on the lable.Let it sit for a little while then rub it into the label good,then wash it off and the stained/dirty ACL should be good as new.Make sure the label is not too deteriorated before you use it though.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
louieb583