BENNINGTON JUG

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

olddump

Reaction score
I have a chance at buying a gallon pottery jug with BENNINGTON on the neck. Can anyone give me an approximate value of these. A ballpark idea is all. Thanks a bunch
Tom, Olddump

bigkitty53

Reaction score
Hi Tom,
There's a LOT of variables to answer your question;Bennington,Vermont had 2 separate potteries.The 1st was established by Connectict-born Capt. John Norton in 1793.His pottery ran a steady course for a total of 101 years,producing utilitarian jugs and crocks.He first produced redware,a soft ceramic of brick clay dug nearby;before turning to harder,longer-lasting stoneware made of clay barged up the Hudson River and carted overland to Vermont.
The other pottery lasted less than 20 years,marked by sudden changes in direction and ambitious efforts at innovation.When collectors speak of Bennington ware,it's mainly the output of this 2nd operation that they have in mind.Fenton's Works,later known as Lyman,Fenton & Co. and finally as the United States Pottery Co.,produced animal forms-poodles,lions,deer,etc.,'Toby Jug' style bottles and pitchers, as well as the famous Bennington hound-handled pitcher,whose handle resembles the head and body of a whippet,or greyhound.The erratic founder,Christopher Webber Fenton produced his wares in many finishes,including Rockingham,Scoddled and Flint Enamel.Less than a quarter of his pieces bear any mark at all,but those that do will include his name,Fenton,"United States Pottery Co.",or "U.S.P.",AND some variation of "Patented Enamel 1849".
If your jug only has the single word 'Bennington' on it,it is probably from Norton. Personally I wouldn't pay more $10(US) for a stoneware example of his jug, and maybe $25 for a MINT example of his redware,But that's their value to me.Other collectors might pay more.(or less!)

Hope this was worth the history lesson![:)]

KAT

P.S. Fenton also produced pottery 'book flasks',i.e.flasks shaped like a book.If you find one of those for under $100 US,ANY size or glaze,let me know! I will happily buy it off of you!

olddump

Reaction score
Thank you that was a great reply and was very informative. I'll get a picture of it posted and see what you think. Thanks again Tom

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mistymad28